Big Muddy Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI RIVERS TALK' started by heavyduty, Sep 22, 2006.

1. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Looks like the MS river is startin to rise a little. I am glad ! Some people say the catfish bite better on a rise and ome people say they bite better on a slow fall. I have had good luck and bad luck with both. What about you guys?

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Seems to me they do bite better when the water is on the rise.I feel that when it is dropping they go back out wih the water and don't bite. I feel they are afarid of getting trapped in shallow water.Just my thoughts.But yes I have had better luck when on the rise.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    on the lakes feeding of the river I aways had better luck on the rise for cats on a slow drop better for bream and crappie don`t know about the river:0a17:

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Mississippi is def on the rise and is going to rise alot and fast, so if you go out the next few days watch out for those floating trees.

5. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    There is an oxbow on the river where i fish and it has a long shoot goin in to it that the river starts flowing in to it when it gets high enough and it should start flowing in this weekend. I think I will have some luck, fishin in the shoot ,I hope.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    sounds good the fish should be close to the banks chasing shad and other bait trying to get away from the rising waters , you should do good in shallow waters . good luck

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Crossed the I-40 Bridge today in Memphis, almost all dikes are under water and they were at least five feet out. Many trees seen in the current.

8. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Yes the Mississippi is really jumping up. It is suppose to raise 15 foot over the next 3 days here at Memphis.

All kinds of trash will be going down to the gulf.

Jesse

9. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    The Mississippi is settlin down now, did any of yall get to go fishin with the rise? I had to work and missed my chance. I hope yall had better luck! At least now I got the BOC when I cant go fishin!!! LOL

10. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I finally got my avatar on here!! Hope yall like my hairdo!! LOL

11. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Hey Heavyduty
    From your post I take it you like fishing on a rise. I typically don't seem to do as well as I do on a slow fall. Do you try any different stratagies or anything like shallower/deeper water, more/less current, different size/type bait or anything than you do on a steady of falling river? What about you other guys do you seem to do better on rise or fall. Any change in tactics?

12. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Sorry it took me so long to reply Roger, I just now seen the post for some reason. It seems like I have better luck on a rise, I like to move around alot and try inthe current and slack water. I like to always try to stay in deeper water unless the river is out of its banks and then I fish shallow as i can or in the flooded creeks with current. I mainly fish for flatheads so i almost always use live bait such as pond perch, bluegill, or crawfish and gold fish when im lazy.lol But I go fishin when i get a chance even if its on a fall.

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    HeavyDuty, I see your big fish is a 75lb flathead, did you get it on the Mississippi or a smaller river. I bet that fish was a HAWG!!!!!!!!!!!

14. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Slimcat, I caught him in the Big Black River, it runs into the MS where i fish. Caught him about 5 miles up river from MS river on a very fast rise.
    He was a Heck of a fish and put up a good fight. I forgot my net that day, but i dont know if it would have helped any way! Got him with a small channel cat.

15. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I thought it looked like it was on the rise. I always seem to have better luck when it is on the rise. My luck seems to get worse as the level falls. That or I am using the wrong bait.

16. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Hey Heavyduty
    I ain't much better I just noticed your reply. I checked it for several days and kind of forgot about it. That is interesting to me though because I looked back after I posted at my notes and I definitely do better on a slow fall, second best would be a slow rise. Hardly ever do anything though on a fast anything. Hopefully Sat. my luck will change on a rise and I will catch me a hawg.