Big Muddy Butt Heads

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by tkeyhunter, Jun 10, 2009.

1. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hope that isn't overly offensive but I am upset!
    We live on the BMR, beautiful home, river in the backyard, lake in the front. I love our little slice of heaven.
    Summer is coming & apparently so are the idiots.
    Why is it boaters ( not all, just some ) feel the need to run by a boat (obviously fishing, anchors and poles in the water) with enough wake to shake the occupants out. Now TONTO has a monster boat that I feel secure in, so not a huge issue. BUT I find it incredibly rude & while passing a smaller anchored boat it could be dangerous. :angry:
    If they want to race around can't they find a nice lake to go play on & leave the river to fisherpeople, nature, quiet etc etc etc
    I find myself wishing a log or stump would adjust their inconsiderate nature.
    okay got that off my chest feel better now

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can't keep um off the river (government owned0 but like you you'd think they would have a bit of respect for fellow fisherman.When bank fishing, I hate it when they think they have to run wide open past you.Then they wave and expect you to wave back to them.WRONG.
    I remember when growing up there was respect for the bank fisherman and boaters would slow down when passing .What happen to RESPECT..
    Just have to put up with the IDIOTS I guess.:sad2:

3. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know this feeling for sure. We have a small state lake close to home and we do alot of fishing on it. They only have a 10 hp limit on it, but you have these guys that have 15 and 25 hp motors on it all the time and get away with it. I slow down and try to go wide of someone fishing if I see them on the bank, and in a boat. Some of these people will come almost close enough to cut your lines and dont give a crap about you and your equipment at all, let alone your saftey. We have a 9.9 hp motor pushing an 18 ft wide bottom john boat and get along just fine with it. Why do people have to go above and beyond the rules????:angry:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bethann there is always going to be butt heads. You can write their watercraft numbers down and report to DNR, take movie pictures and etc. Maybe DNR would consider setting up in your back yard to monitor the situation. You got connections use them.

5. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    This is a common problem that I see on the lower kaskaskia river. I usually fish off to one side or the other to allow pleasure boaters enough room to get by without getting too close. It seems as though every a#%hole that owns a 40 foot baja(the true mark of a total douchebag!) cruises by within 20 feet! Some people try to make it better by slowing down, but all that does is throw an even bigger wake because the boat is not on plane. It's just one of the things that you have to deal with as a fisherman:sad2:.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    well if they keep runnin the big muddy wide open like that they're sure to hit a stump or boulder soon enough if they dont know the river.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I really don't mind a guy running flat out if he keeps his distance and the boat is trimmed out properly. The fact is that many people don't know how to trim their boat.
    As mentioned, there are those who slow up in an attempt to be nice and just plow the water up.... most aggravating.
    For the most part, conditions permitting I drive the boat on plane and give folks as wide a berth as possible. If I can't give them enough I will go down to idle.
    As for those who pass really close, that's just ignorant and stupid. It never ceases to amaze me how much ignorant and stupid there is on the water...W

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    There's boating regulations! It's illegal to go so many mph so close to a fishing vessel here and there are a bunch more laws that don't get enforced. Imagine the county cops with a borrowed car. Getcha a big jar of sonny's and set aside a special message pole.

9. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    On the Illinois last summer I had a huge pontoon pull in and drop anchor right on top of my bait. After explaining that they were anchored right on my lines (and being ignored and sniggered at) I reeled in, recast and dropped a 2 oz. sinker right on their deck. The sniggering stopped, I got a cussing but they pulled anchor and left. The following weekend the same bunch were at the boat dock putting their boat in, while I was getting mine ready to launch. I could tell by their faces that they remembered me. they were actually polite and wished me luck as they pulled out. There are alot of boat owners who call them selves boaters. If you do not know the rules of the road on the water and follow them you are not a boater. whether fishing or pleasure.:001::0a23:

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont own a boat but i have theese bass a holes that go along the bank and run into your lines, , no respect is what it boils down to just flip em off

11. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    You want to take your life into your own hands try fishing Lake Jacksonville! They run at night wide open with no lights. The no wake area is just a suggestion. DNR says they'll check into it but noone's seen'em out there yet. They do bother the bank fishermen, but they wont go near the dock. 'Course in their defense our local parks and lakes superintendent is in cohoots with the bass club, cant make him mad. Good ole boy syndrom.

12. niteye

niteye New Member

State:
    illinois
    put up with it all weekend in the same area real hard to grinn and bear it

13. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Well i have seen some people go so slow by me while bank fishing a river there motor could have been off:big_smile:.While some others go by like a bat out of he!! creating a huge disturbance and probably scaring any fish near by away and ruining any chance of catching a fish anytime soon:sad2:....i guess it sucks there are people like that but atleast there are still some nice people who care about people who are fishing from the bank