Big mono. and knots.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by peewee williams, Nov 3, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The weaker and less control that I get in my hands,the harder it is to tie all knots.Large diameter monofilament always took a lot of strength to pull knots tight,even when wet.I no longer have that strength.Does anyone have a solution that works for them?I want to try to find the one that will work the best for me.I don't mind the one to twenty minutes it can take to tie it.After all,I have little else to do.The fact that I can not tighten the knot where it will hold on the larger diameters is frustrating.Any and all ideas welcome.I may have to go to sleeves,but they are expensive.Thanks.peewee-williams

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    When I use 30# and above I'll sometimes use a pair of small needle nose pliars to cinch the knot.Works for me with no problems.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I used to fish with a guy that had 2 fingers on one hand and three on the other he used a knot called "a lazy 8". I have seen a couple of other guys using it on king rigs. I do not know the actual name of the knot but when you tie it before cinching it down it does look like an 8.

4. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    pee wee,

I get a similar problem with tendonitis in my elbows, and numbness in my hand, and have a hard time pulling the knots so they grip tight. Sounds like you still have some arm strength to work with. Maybe you can redistribute the stress on your hands and fingers with some simple tooling -

for the hook end, a piece of smooth plywood about 1/2 inch thick or a piece of polyethylene or nylon, cut to fit your grip, with a tab coming out between the thumb and forefinger, or between the ring and middle finger. Drill a hole in the tab to pass the hook barb, and use this to hold the hook end while pulling. The trick is to keep the hook point away from your hand so you don't get stuck;

for the swivel end, I use a large blanket pin I get from Tractor Supply. Tie up the knot loose to start, put the pin thru the swivel eye, and pull on the pin against all four fingers with the line coming out between the ring and middle finger. Pics attached;

for the main line, use a smooth wood or plastic dowel about 3/4 to 1-inch diameter to take about four or five wraps, and pull against one of the other tools described above;

any of these devices could be adapted to strap around your leg, or to a leg of a chair you're sitting in, or to have a loop for you to step into, such that you could the use both hands to pull one end while the other end is fixed to the chair or your leg, letting you use a lot more of the bigger muscle groups.

Let me know which ones you think would work best for you, or with some modifications, and I'll make 'em up and mail them to you.

Dennis

Attached Files:

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When tieing a polamer knot on 50lb mono, I use some needlenose pliers to cinch it up on the tag end.

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have had a tremendous amount of muscle deterioration in my whole body.I now have the strength of a small child.At times I have no control of my hands.I have come a long way from a industrial mechanic who worked alone on a swing shift most of his adult life.I use to grab something and it moved.If I can grab it now,it just sits there and looks at me.Quite a difference.My doctors put me on a 8,yep 8 lb.weight limit about 2 years ago.He told me that I might be lucky to lift that in a couple of years.I laughed at him.Big mistake.I am sitting here laughing at myself now.I also have a lot of pain in my forearms now.There is a chance that cancer has got in my bones now.I do appreciate your offer.If you were next door I might take you up on it.I will see if I can get someone to get me some blanket pins.Might take a while.Thanks you.peewee-williams

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Your help and offers of help have been wonderful.I thank you all so very much.I don;t want to be any more bother than I have to.I am a big enough pain as it is.I will try the different things as I get the materials.Pliers are a help when I can feel them.Thanks everyone.If there are anymore ideas that come up,please send them on.Thanks again,peewee.

8. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning Peewee, Try using barrel sleeves & crimping pliers. I do this @ night, It's easier than trying to tie knots especially when the water is rough

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey PeeWee, I got the ole man fingers thing going on too. Hard to pull the mono tight enough to keep from slipping. What I started doing was just to tie a simple overhand knot on the very end of my line, pull it tight with pliers, trim it. And then tie my normal knot. Then even if it slips the overhand knot keeps it from slipping thru under tension. Seems to be working for me.

10. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    pee wee when i sit and tie a bunch at home i use two pair of needle nose one i put a rubber coating on to grab the main line so i do not damage it and the other pair for the tag end

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have been doing this for years now on my knots.It works great for me too.Thanks,peewee-williams

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Lubrication like good old spit helps the knot slide better. Sound crude but that helps along with a pair of pliers.