Big Mon 6-24

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Beaufort, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    It was hot today got a late start had to wait on the old lady. Didn't do to good got about 9 or ten most ln the 3-8lb range almost all wer caught on slip floats 24-35ft deep drifting and anchored. would have got more but the old lady and her brother and another one of our freinds went and the don't fish a whole lot so we missed a few strikes. but everyone had fun.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Brandon Hot wasnt the word for it. we got 1 at the rip rap that was about 4 lbs and prob 30 that was under a lb as we passed time to help with the heat. then about 11.30 we started exploring a bit and found a area I have got to get back to across the lake, found a area that was 74 ft deep and then it goes straight down like a wall to 120 and was loaded with fish. let several get off half way in that I couldnt understand because I was using 8 alt circle hooks and they were just letting go. Caught a bunch more little dinks passing time. and managed to get 2 in that were 8 to 10 lbs each. I dont see how those little 5 to 8 inch blues and channels live in 120 ft of water. when they come up they look like they swallowed a golf ball lol. I did see something that has never happened to me before though, was using a crappie that was cut in half and caught a blue that was 8 inches long and before I found out that he was on there the rod bowed over and that small blue was ate by another blue close to 10 lbs. that makes the bait and 2 cats on one hook at the same time. those little fish looked like they were starving to death. here is a pic of the blue that ate another blue.

3. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    That is a really neat pic. I tryed to explore some of that water i seen u in later in the day but my transducer was acting up the screen would just quit registering at about 60ft.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the pic. Interesting.

5. daveaf

daveaf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That is one interesting situation, cat eating a smaller cat that was hook. Cool

6. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i'm wondering if it was just 2 fish competing for the same bait and the little guy lost...maybe they went for it at the same time and the bigger fish accidentally got the other cat not intentionally trying to eat it...or are they just cannibals...cool pic...thanks.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ronald it looks like you were in a FEEDING FRENZY! I have seen pics of big flatties with smaller cats in them but never anyhting like that. Thanks for the cool pic.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats an awesome picture, thanks for posting it.

9. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I know flatties will eat another small cat but didnt think a blue would.

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've heard for years that bullheads make good baits for flats so I believe it. I read somewhere else on hear about this happening. Cats are opportunistic feeders and if another kitty looks yummy, then I think they'll hit it. maybe we should use 10 lb. blue cats for bait and see what happens! lol

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont know how many more times I'm gone have to say this but CATFISH EAT OTHER CATFISH especially in Lake Monticello.:big_smile:I've posted about this numerous times and it seems like nobody has beleived it.Now my ol buddy Ronald has got a picture of it.About 8 out of 10 fish I've cleaned over 20 lbs out of there (yes I have cleaned and ate fish that big before) has had sometimes stomachs full of catfish.Some has had up to 6 fingerlength catfish in there and some has had just one big catfish in them, up to 2 lbs is the biggest I've found.Some will have nothin but baby channels some will have baby blues and whites, I guess it depends on which school is movin by them.These little catfish are already down there at the depths that the big fish are, so dont think for a minute that when one of those little fellas swims by a 20+ lbr that it want eat it.Me and Brandon (beaufort) both have caught our fair share of cats out of Monticello on cut and live catfish.Dont make me go buy a video camera and tape the dycecting process of some of these canibalistic fish's stomachs because I cant afford it right now.:smile2:

12. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah that's a real cool picture. Thanks.

13. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I think I may head back this fri or sat night and try a small cat or 2 for bait, I also found a pond today at this house I done a job for and I would bet there are 10 000 carp in this pond under 6 inches long I am gonna try some of those also. the guy said he doesnt know how carp got in there but he wishes they were gone. the largest I saw was maybe 10 inches long but there has to be some big ones in there.

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Carp will work good in there.Suckers work good too.

15. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I've caught quite a few out of Monticello with those little white cats in there gut, I've even tried using them as bait with out much luck, but we still try. Cut carp works real well. Monticello is so full of little white cats that the blues probably have a field day eating them.

16. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I might get to go saturday night i will probly catch some small cats and try them. I'll be getting a late start it will be after dark so if i can't catch any gizzards before I go I'll just have to buy some bluebacks and catch some small ones for bait.

17. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Brandon I may hope to get there by 5 sat evening to try to get some perch. I am gonna try to get all my bait tom evening if possible. hollar if you see me out there.

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If you get there early enough you can have the bait that I dont use.Give me a call tommorow.Somebody should bring a grill because its gone be almost like a small get together.We can tie all the boats together and form a redneck yaght club.Me, Bruce, Craig, Ronald and Brandon, anybody else gone be there?

19. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    if i wasnt on call this weekend i would love to join the crowd,but i got to earn a buck or two at the old hospital,yall wear em out and be safe

20. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    definately hope to see u guys out there.