Big Manistee River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by eyeguy, Jun 30, 2008.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I got home last night from a week on the Big Manistee. The Mrs. and I did a little fishing even though the water is still really muddy. We caught 13 cats with the largest being caught by "her" 7lbs 3oz. The rest were from 3 to 5lbs, real good eatin size, and yes some of them were released to the grease. The wife also caught a 26 1/2 inch northern pike which now that I know how to remove the "y" bones will be served up along with the cats we caught. We took pictures and I will post a few once I figure out how to go about doing that. I want to post my photo with a cat for my avatar and now I have one. I also put up some flyers about this site at the campground and the local bait shops in hopes of drawing more people to this site. I am finding that there are more guys fishing for cats than I thought. I think that as more people find out where to go and how to fish for them our numbers will grow. As we were cleaning our fish several people walked up and talked about catfish and like me before I knew better they thought they were bottom eaters and real fishy on the plate. I hope we converted a few and will enlarge the number of BOC in Michigan.
    eyeguy

2. DEERJOHN

DEERJOHN New Member

State:
    MICHIGAN
    uote=eyeguy;1097538]I got home last night from a week on the Big Manistee. The Mrs. and I did a little fishing even though the water is still really muddy. We caught 13 cats with the largest being caught by "her" 7lbs 3oz. The rest were from 3 to 5lbs, real good eatin size, and yes some of them were released to the grease. The wife also caught a 26 1/2 inch northern pike which now that I know how to remove the "y" bones will be served up along with the cats we caught. We took pictures and I will post a few once I figure out how to go about doing that. I want to post my photo with a cat for my avatar and now I have one. I also put up some flyers about this site at the campground and the local bait shops in hopes of drawing more people to this site. I am finding that there are more guys fishing for cats than I thought. I think that as more people find out where to go and how to fish for them our numbers will grow. As we were cleaning our fish several people walked up and talked about catfish and like me before I knew better they thought they were bottom eaters and real fishy on the plate. I hope we converted a few and will enlarge the number of BOC in Michigan.
    eyeguy[/quote] Hey EYEGUY! Where were you fishing on the Big Manistee?? What campground were you using? I have a cottage in Lake county, and would like to try fishing the Manistee. DEERJOHN

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some real good fishing.

4. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hodenpyle backwater near Mesick. Go to the Northern Exposure campground off from M-115 on Hodenpyle Dam Road just West of Mesick. The turn is to the left about 1/4 after you cross the bridge over the Manistee. You may need to purchase a day pass which is $4.00, however I am not sure of that as it seems like a camper can have visitors without being charged, but if you do it entitles you to use the boat launch, restrooms and shoreline area for picnic or sitting if you are bank fishing. If you get there after 7pm there usually isn't anyone attending the entrance and you can just drive in. Once through the gate go to the paved road to the right and head down to sites around #195. This is a great place to fish from the bank as the water depth drops off into deeper water about 50 feet off shore. We use small bluegills, perch, cutbait and liver. While we were there we heard about some guys fishing at the dam from about 7pm to midnight and the report was that they did pretty good. The dam is easy to find, you just go past the campground to the sign that says Hodenpyle Dam and take a left, then you park along the access road and walk up and over the dam to the shore line. I have not fished there yet,but we intend to in a couple weeks. Good luck if you decide to go.
    eyeguy