Big Lake blue catfish help?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by miichael, Nov 16, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Need some info from you guys on fishing a large lake. The lake has a dam at the upper and a dam at the lower. water depth at lower end is over 100ft. i got a map of the lake here,

http://www.dukepower.com/lakes/lakefacts/norman.pdf

Right now the stripers and shad are around stumpy creek access in upper map. surface temp there was about 60 degrees last Saturday. The water depth in the main channel where the stripers and shad are is around 70ft at the deepest in the channel. Where would you fish in this lake knowing this info? i keep reading about below dams when water is running so i was going to try below the dam in this lake. any info be great. I still haven't caught a blue out of this lake and the NC state record blue cat was caught here @ 85lbs.

2. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    sounds like a lake in OH, its seems that almost all the blue ive got were in high cover, around big logs,
    but are u fishin from boat or....

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yes i forgot to post be fishing from a boat

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I would try up near the Hydro station. I'm sure that there is probably a warm water current running out of there. Anchor up and fish shad: slip bobber, bottom, or suspended. I have trouble catching blues too. I have found that if you fish like you are going for flatheads, you might pick a blue up! But my best bet would definitely be that hydro station, running water=Blues!

5. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    there is a (hot hole) down about middle ways on the lake where it has warm water discharge. water is most time 10 degrees hotter at that part. its called Marshall steam station its across from D in upper map.

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I would try that. I would even try and drift out of the discharge.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The blues will linger around the stripers and bait waiting on easy meals.Try to anchor on the ledges as close to the bait as you can get.I know its hard to anchor in 70 foot of water but if you can find some humps and drops close to that deep water anchor on them.The blues and stripers will run the bait up and down the drops.Another option is to fish suspended up under the bait.If you see big arches up under the bait and stripers, those are more than likely big blues so just let the bait down to them.

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    miichael try the mt creek area in 20 to 35ft of water using cut shad fresh as you can get try drifting the creck channel it has been doing good

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fished around the hot hole but didn't do any good. Water temp was 52 up at long island and in the hot hole it was around 75. Is 75 degrees too hot for blues? I wasn't marking many fish in the discharge but on out in the lake below it i was marking some nice fish but nothing seemed to take the bait. plus water was so deep couldn't really get down there to them drifting.

10. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Miichael, good post. Opinions vary, but the link below may help you out. I'd pay particluarly close attention to the second and third paragraph ...

http://www.lakenormanstriperfishing.com/catfish.htm

By the way, on good Texas catfish lakes catching larger blues with water temps in the mid to high 80's in less than 5 foot of water is the "norm".
    My 2 cents: with surface water temps above 50, be on structure with fresh bait on your hook at sunrise. Either be on the edges of the main lake or in a creek or cove where there is access to deeper (20+ feet) water ... but that does not mean you should only fish the deeper water. In my experience, if water temps start to get in the mid to low 40's or cooler, fishing along any warm water discharge or fishing solely deep (drifting) would get more of my attention.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I believe in the Dec issue of North Carolina Sportsman there is an article about catching blues on Norman.It discusses techniques with a couple of guides down there.You can normally find copies at Books A MIllion,newstands etc.I could be wrong or forgetful because I read so much.:smile2:

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    A day spent with a good catfish guide will teach you more about how to fish that lake than you'll figure out on your own in months or years of fishing...

It'll be an expensive day but I'll almost guarantee you'll come away thinking it was worth the money.

13. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Try drifting the drops around the channel with fresh cut bait. As the water cools slow your drift with a trolling motor or find the bait schools and anchor. Fishing under feeding stripers should produce because there will be blues there getting an easy meal. Look around the dam for spots that might rise from 100ft to 75 or so and give that a shot. I didn't know lake norman had that many coves, so when the water is warming in late spring you should be able to fish on some of those points and pull off some nice blues. Hope this works if you try.
    matt

14. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    find the coldest hole you can thats next to warmer water where bait fish are and thats your spot. Blues are more active in the colder temps, but not below 50 degrees.

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Also you can try to catch them at suspended depths using a slip bobber. I have seen cats be at like 21 feet out of 75 foot depths that I caught on my slip bobber. Maybe a surprise once, but not after you see that a few times were they are caught like that. If you see a baitschool of fish at certain depths, try to get your bait at that depth as well.