big jumping fish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by todobiennc, Sep 30, 2009.

1. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    If anyone is out on any of the following rivers below the first dam - Tar below Rocky Mt, Roanoke below Roanoke Rapids, Neuse below Milburnie, or the Cape Fear below Lock and Dam #1 and sees any large fish jumping please let me know. Thanks.

2. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    They are mullet. We got them in the Tar here in greenville. Mullet can get to be a pretty descent size. they jump all over the place. Ive almost had one jump in the boat one time.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Why??:confused2: What do you consider large??

4. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I saw a large fish jumping in the Neuse last Thursday. Unfortunately, like the man said, it was just a mullet.:big_smile:

If you really are looking for mullet, your better off going to one of the coastal creeks. South, Campbell, and Blounts Creeks all support large mullet populations.

If your looking for something different, be more specific and someone will be able to help.

5. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    BIG fish as in a couple of feet long....some folks have thought they've seen sturgeon jumping in some of the rivers and trying to find out where.

6. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    John,

Most likely they saw longnose gar. The gar surface to gulp air and as they head back down they could be mistaken for a sturgeon.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    mullets jumping..sounds like infield at daytona

8. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    some of these have been verified to be sturgeon. They're also jumping all the way out of the water vs the way gar typically do. They've been seen this fall in the Cashie and Roanoke hoping to get info from other rivers too. In the Northeast they've found fall spawning runs of these fish which is kind of new as typically its thought they spawn in the spring. Please keep your eyes out and share info. If there was more water in the Tar and Neuse this year I'd be tempted to go to Battle Park or Milburnie and sit around after work in hopes of seeing one.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'll keep my eye out. Probably not going to be on the rivers that much in the Wilmington area but I'm out on the rivers in the ASMA area with work quite frequently. Do you work for a state agency or are you just interested?

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, this is the time of year for the sturgeon to come up river. When they jump, they sound like a bag of concrete hitting the water. We have Atlantic and short nose sturgeon.

Bill in SC

11. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Have any of yall ever actually seen one of these sturgeon in NC? I'm from NC all of my life and have never seen one. I realize that being from the central part of the state, they may have had dams obstructing them from getting this far inland. The Quaker Neck Dam was blown quite a few years ago, and as I understand it, Milburnie Dam in Raleigh is the only dam left on the Neuse (save Falls of the Neuse Reservoir). I havn't heard any report of sturgeon seen there. Further, I've also never in my life heard of anyone seeing one toward the coast either. Not doubting their existence, just would like to know if anyone has seen one first hand.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  12. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I have been on the Neuse a few times this spring at night and heard what I described at the time as a bowling ball falling out of the trees into the water.

Maybe it was a sturgeon.

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've seen a few. Only a couple though that we've caught in our nets at work. They are an awesome fish. About 10yrs ago they had one wash up in the Cape Fear that was a couple hundred pounds. They certainly aren't common though.

14. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    I was up on the James River near Richmond, VA last week and saw several sturgeon jumping all the way out of the water. What an awesome sight. Would love to hang into one, believe it would be an awesome fight.

15. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Are there any paddle fish in NC coastal rivers? I have a brother in Texas who asked me if I had ever seen them jump out of the water. He said he regularly seen 20 to 40lb paddle fish completely clearing the water in Texas and Louisiana rivers. This past summer during the week of the 4th of July I was fishing the Cumberland river in Tennessee just below and above the Cordell Hull dam and got to see many of these fish jumping out of the water. I was an incredible sight to witness a forty pound class paddle fish coming staight up out of the water!

16. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    there may be some paddlefish in the western rivers on NC in the Tennessee drainage but haven't heard anything about them. I thing they are in the first reservoir/river on the French Broad downstream on NC

17. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
  18. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Maybe they were sturgeon. But most likely they were beavers. When they're swimming across the water and get spooked, beavers slap their tail on the water in the process of diving for cover. I don't know if it's neccessary for a fast dive, or if maybe they do it to make noise attempting to scare off the predator. Kinda like a rabbit stamping his hind feet on the ground when cornered. Without a doubt, we have millions of beavers around here.

19. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    I think the beaver slap may also be an alert to its beaver family. Much like deer flashing their white tail when spooked.

20. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I don't believe it was a beaver slapping it's tail. But I try to never say never.

This sounds like a when a big guy does a cannonball. The first sound is his body hitting the water, and the second sound is the water closing back in on itself.