Big Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by fisherman94580, Feb 13, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Why does everyone use huge circle hooks like 8/0-12/0, THe most I use is 6/0, wats the point?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The reason I use 8/0 is just that. The point. Much more gap in an 8/0 gama octopus circle than most. Plenty of room for a good bait and lots of hook point exposure.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Big hooks, big bait and big fish!

4. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    have you ever seen a 6/0 hook in a 50-60 lb flattie mouth it looks really small compared to a mouth you can stick a basketball in.also sometimes you have to go to big hooks to get a wire size that you want to keep your hook from straiting out,i've heard of people getting 12/0 and 14/0 hooks strainted out.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree, big hooks, big bait = big fish.

6. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    most I use 6/0 hooks but I have as few 8/0 hooks.. but I feel 6/0 hooks catch more fish.. but that's my opinion...

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think you have to match your hook size to the size of bait you're using. Large bait, large hook. I use 6/0 to 10/0 in circle and kahles depending on how and what I'm fishing for.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. He says it all. You have to have that point exposure.

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Big Hooks. Why do `I use them. I have a friend that thinks a 9/0 gama octupus hook is over kill. Of course he is used to catching small bluegill and the occasional trout. When you go after trophy blues and flats the bait size has to get bigger to make it interesting to the big fish. Also the bone structure of a big cat wont allow for proper hook set if you dont use big hooks. Once whilw fishing the Cumberland river my friend was along. When I reeled in a 42 LB blue he no longer thought the hook looked to big. He afterrward thought that it might still be to small.

Hooks do need to be sized to the fish you are after. When after big fish a big hook is needed.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have fished with hooks of many different sizes and styles over the years. This is a sample of what I have left. I now use 7/0 and 10/0 Kahles exclusively.
    The Big "J" hook was given to me by a friend about a year ago and I keep it for a conversation piece, LOL!! Not sure on the size, he told me 20/0 so that is what I call it as well.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Here is another pic to make it to scale for you!!! I threw in a quarter to show size.

12. FishinRich

FishinRich New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Planning on buying hooks for jug fishing. Most of the fish we catch are 20lbs to 50lbs. Never tried circles. I don't want to miss the 20 ,s but still catch the ocasional 70#er. Any help ?

13. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks for the pics Dreadnaught. It really helped clarify the difference between a circle and a Khale hook. thanks again

Dru:confused2:

14. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Richard consider this, a 20 pound flatheads mouth is bigger than your fist. If you can close the hook in your hand, it shouldn't be too big for the fishes mouth.

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know about you but I use 10/0 and have been trying to find some 12/0 and 14/0 hooks the bait I use is probably around a pound each so you gotta have a big hook to make the hook set work right.

16. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    THE FISH IN MY AVATAR WAS 55LBS AND THAT WAS CAUGHT WITH A 4/0 CIRCLE HOOK AND THE LARGEST I USE IS 6/0IM NOT GONNA SAY THAT YOU DONT NEED BIGGER HOOKS BUT I JUST HAVEN'T NEEDED THEM YET BUT I FEEL I MIGHT HAVE TO.

17. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    NOW MY BUDDY ON THE OTHER HAND CAUGHT A 25LB BLUE ON A SMALL HOOK THAT YOU WOULD PROBABLY PUT A CRICKET ON TO CATCH BREAM BUT HE SAID THE WAY THE FISH WERE BITING HE HAD TO DOWNSIZE. AND JUST WHEN HIS FATHER GOT IT IN THE NET IT STRAIGHTENED THE HOOK RIGHT OUT HOOK SIZE WILL CHANGE IN DIFFERENT CONDITIONS AND I THINK YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CARRY ENOUGH VARIETY FOR DIFFERENT CONDITIONS

18. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    I perfer using Kahles form 6/0-10/0 with big baits. The key is to match the hook to the bait. I personally never had any luck with circles but one of my fishin buddies only uses smaller gama circles (4/0-6/0) and has landed some big fish. Its all about preference, bait choice, and fishing style. Whatever you choice good luck.

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the fish i normally catch have big lips or atleast the ones i want to catch , heres your test take yer endex and middle finger and hold them together now try and pass them threw the gap of that circle hook , sorry it aint going and neither is that big cats lip , try that with a 9/0 j hook

another test place a circle in the palm of your hand and make a fist around it and pull the line , it will slip out . now try that with a j hook go ahead i double dog dare ya :lol:

sorry cant help it im a smartass and dont care for circle hooks they maybe fish freindly but i aint fishing to become freinds with my fish , be sort of like deer hunting with a paintball gun seems pointless

20. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I use big bait and like big hooks although I dont use circle hooks. I normally only use Gama octopus 8/0 and 10/0 hooks and they seem to have about the right amount of hook still left for deep penetration. I know I can go smaller but I dont have comfidance in big baits on small hooks.