Big head carp - Lots of bones, but two thumbs up!

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Believer, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    someone gave me a 20 lber last night & I fried a little bit tonight.
    It's pretty tasty, but there sure are a lot of bones in it. I scored it, but i'm not real good at it.
    Overall, I give it a.....:thumbsup:

Eric

2. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    It's a pain to get that y-bone outta there, but your right it is good eatin'

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i caught a bunch of carp today and was about to make a post on if a carp was good to eat,maybe next time i'll try one but how in the world do you clean and cook them?

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Last week i snagged a 17 lb big head at meyer. But i didnt eat it. :)
    Hey Believer do you know if they closed the dam at meyer yet?

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    to clean, fillet . then cut along the darker meat at slant ffrom eachside to form a(v shape) pull out this strip of meat and discard it . this is what my grandpa always did to remove those bones and strong taste. lol

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shoot I wouldnt eat any of them nasty things! Thats just me though, Ill give ya all of em you want cuz I hate those things!

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Years ago I saw an article or two about pike having Y-bones like that; the article had photographs of how to fillet them out. With all the videos they've got out now, maybe there's a pike video that shows how to do that.

8. wishiwasfishin

State:
    kentucky
    i'd like to try them one time just to see how they taste and there sure is enough of them to go around. hey i bit some place in this world they are the main coarse:)

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    O Im sure they are a main course somewhere. My buddy and I were fishin at Carlyle one time and there were some Chinese people there catchin some white bass as were we, but a lot of shad too. Long story short they traded us their white bass for our shad. they said they fry them up and they are like potato chips to them! Ill pass on that.

10. wishiwasfishin

State:
    kentucky
    yeah there was some guys fishing down at the dam here the other day.i'm not sure what they were but they were not Americans. those guys kept everthing they caught and i think they were asking me for my fish but i really couldn't understand the guy:)

11. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    cought one 52# up jthrue way little rock. at the lock there up from burns park. gave it to some folks .along with some huge drum, good time cought some nice blues too.

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    When you cut the sides off them, then turn them over and cut the scales off, then score the 1/8' between cuts, almost all the way thru, deep fry them at a temputure about 350 till they float and most all the bones will be gone.

13. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    those ain't for eatin' ewwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please tell me you don't eat bowfin too?

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh my God! can you imagine the "Methane" those things would produce?!:bad_smelly:

15. wishiwasfishin

State:
    kentucky
    lol,i'll try anything once:)

16. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ate some more tonight. It's GOOD stuff! :)

Eric

17. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have eaten carp for years. They can be very tasty if cleaned properly. Cut a wide margin around the mudline and remove all red meat. The rest is mild and similiar to Cod. Carp are omnivors like cats, but can live in waters with extremely low oxygen contents as they can take their oxygen from the air. They were brought over here as a delicacy. Give it a try. You may be surpised.

18. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio

that's ok, i'll just take your word for it

19. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    I know people who were raised eating carp/drum/etc. They always told me they were great eating, but I've yet to try one. One of these days I'll try one, but for now I'm content with other fish. In any case, if I were to try it and get out the y-bones, I think I'd use a pressure cooker.