Big Green Light?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mudfishmusic, Apr 23, 2009.

1. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I recently purchased a big green submersible light. Now I know that it's supposed to draw bait fish which in turn draws the big fish. They're typically used for tarpon, redfish, sailfish, and stripers but I've read a few articles about folks using them for catfishing. Some say they work others say catfish like it dark. Has anyone had any experience fishing for catfish with these things?:eek:oooh:

2. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I bought a cheap green LED submersable and it is junk. We had it out one night trying to get some herring and my son caught a 20 lb Flathead on cut bait, only because the light wasn't bright enough to spook her off. That was also the only fish we caught that night. You'll catch some cats with the lights on especially if the strippers are feeding on the bait and some is getting wounded and not consumed. I personally think it would scare more big cats especially Flatheads. I would still love to have a hydroglow for bait and catching Strippers, Hybrids, and crappie.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with Thomas 100%.

Bill in SC

4. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The light I have is one of these 4' long tube things about 3" in diameter. I haven't had it in the water yet but it'll sure light up the back yard. I've done all the research I can on the internet and there are those who claim they work well for catfish. I'm not sold but if I can catch a few fish with it on at least I'll believe it's not scaring them off. I typically fish in the river so I was thinking I might could get back in one of the old washouts and give it a whirl. I'm not anticipating any miracles but it'll be neat to see if anything happens. If nothing else maybe it'll bring in some shad to throw the cast net around.

5. Larry D

Larry D New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a 4 foot hydro-glow that I striper fish at night with and have caught many nice catfish while doing so.

6. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I love my 4' hydroglow, It works great on striper and crappie...
    never tried it on cats though.

7. Redneck in a Skiboat

State:
    South Caro
    Will the battery last all night? Do you run your bait tank off the same battery?

8. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We fished hard without the light Friday night with little success. Turned the light on for a few hours saturday night. It definately attracts fish. Bait were schooling all around it and bigger fish all over the depthfinder in only about 15ft of water. WE did catch a 15lber and had some more bites so it didn't seem to hurt and it was very entertaining so I'm going to have to play with it some more.:smile2:

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Lawrence.
    Send Sunbird a pm. He has a hydro glow and uses it also.

10. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I actually have five batteries in my boat so I really don't know. We ran it on a battery with nothing else on it but another little neon light for about 3 hrs with no issues but I couldn't tell you otherwise. I have run my bait tank (keep alive) for 5 days without charging.

11. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We need to get together this summer!

12. Redneck in a Skiboat

State:
    South Caro
    Man, thats a lot batteries. I just dropped one of mine off the tailgate of the truck and backed over it it the yard. It busted a hole in it and spilled about half the acid in the yard. It was my newest one. My son had been cutting grass and stopped to go fishing at the pond. My wife was going to finish the grass but the mower would not crank. She said it had a dead battery, so I was going to jump it with the boat battery. He had left the blade engaged on the mower, so the battery was fine. I didn't kill anyone yet.:smile2: Putting the battery on the tailgate was my own fault, so everyone is safe. I have three on one boat when the bait tank is on it and just two when its not. Then the battery I busted was for my jon boat trolling motor. I have a keep alive tank also, I wondered how long I could run it on a charge. Keep us posted on how you do with the light.

13. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thus the need for more batteries:smile2:!!! ....As the summer rolls on, most of our fishing trips become multinight affairs so power is of the essence. I have 24volt trolling system so that takes 2 batteries mounted under the front deck (we also use them to run a QBeam on the front deck); 1 designated cranking battery in rear (never has to be charged this way); 1 more in rear that runs my live well and running / courtesy lights; and 1 that is not mounted in the boat to run other lights (also runs lights in camp or my 120 Gallon livewell when we use it). I used to fish out of a smaller fish and ski boat and was more cramped for space so I just used 2 batteries - 1 boat / 1 accessory. It worked but I have to say I'm enjoying being able to plug in any toy I want and not worry about the power a lot more:wink:.

We're probably not going to get back out until Saturday night this week but I've got a few ideas brewing for the new light. I'll definately let you know what we come up with.

14. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Definitely for sure.
    I usually make a trip down during the spring run but the time I could do it the water was high and muddy.:confused2:

15. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    As of right now I plan on being on the river most every weekend in June. Why don't you look at your calendar and see if you have time to make a trip down. I actually think the catfishing on the Congaree only gets better to me as the summer wears on so if you can't do June check July. I think it has something to do with mesquitoes and humidity but I'm not sure:wink:.

Anybody else interested?:roll_eyes: