big gils and water depth

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by beakus, Feb 12, 2008.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i have read a few places that red ear and bigger gills like to stay in water 5-8 ft deep?unlike the places i take my boy perch jerk'in 1-2 feet with a few rocks,but we usuall only get the little 2-4'' guys.is there any truth to this?

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    That is the depth I have caught the majority of big bluegill, but it doesn't always hold true. Try different depths in different areas.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive caught big ones in deep water and right next to the bank in shallow,i dont think it matters to them as long as theres something there to eat.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    if there are weeds around then i would fish between 4 and 10 feet deep. you will get your big gills at that depth. in the summer when they move shallow, you can pretty much spot where they are.

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You can catch the big ones in shallower waters, but they are VERY spooky and move off if you get anywhere close to them, making very long casts required. Once spooked, surprise, they often swim off and hold in 5' or 6' of water.

6. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I always fished 1 to 3 ft deep for gills and always caught 2-4 inch gills.A few years back I was fishing a bass tourn. and was using a small crank bait to hurry up and get my 5 fish. I started catching gills 7-8 inches long.These were big gills for this lake.These gills were all caught about 8 ft. deep. I caught them spring,summer and fall,all in the same location and on the same crank bait.When I tried using shallower running baits I didn't catch a fish.Don't know if this helps but JMO.Crank bait was Bill Norman deep tiny N.
    Allen

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think the deeper you fish the bigger potential you have to catch bigger fish. the large gills can venture out further than those little guys because they have fewer fish to fear.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I read somewhere that in a school of gills the smaller ones congregate at the top of the school. I use a heavier weight to get my bait down Quicker so the little guys dont get a chance at it ,I do catch bigger fish with this method too.

9. ckruger1005

ckruger1005 New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I like to use small spinners for bluegills, and i've noticed a that a little quicker retrieval keeps the smaller ones from biting, not too fast the lure comes up to the surface though.

10. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    They tend to be in 7 to 10 ft of water till evening then they will feed on surface but it helps if they have cover to hang out in.

11. fishin4cat

fishin4cat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ive always had good luck on ledges or drop offs in 3 to 5 ft of water