Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to the st johns river last night and caught a 22.7 gar on a 5/0 circle hook and gill head. which is pretty amazing in itself bc they usually grab my bait run with it let me reel them 1/2 way in and then drop my bait.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
the thing with gar is they usually grab the bait and run then they will turn it around in their mouth and swallow it after running with the bait for a while thats why when i fish for gar i generally let the gar run with the bait and right after they stop and start again i set the hook

· Registered
718 Posts
if we use the trailer hooking method with jhooks or big kayle hooks maybe we can stick it to em faster . i have been trying a big j hook fallowed by a circle hook they seem to bite the bait and feel the hook and leave....... not hitting it twice like they normaly do .... so trying 2 j hooks next with your rubber band idea ya passed me . i need a better method i don't have room to let them run with it and dirty pool there face off LOL.

if you have ever had a 4-5 foot gar jump outa the water like a tarpon or bass you will understand why there so fun. its like snagging a torpedo with teefas .

if ya want a run for your money throw some 15-20 lb braid on your ultra lite ugly stik and use a live baby blue gill and hang on and lowwer the drag YEEEE HAWWWWW

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive been going to this dam and its about 50 ft or so. its loaded with gar but i dont know what depth to fish for them. or what bait.
ya don't have to try to catch gar, it will just happen when your catfishing. They will hit most live and dead baits such as gills and shad.

· Registered
278 Posts
ive been going to this dam and its about 50 ft or so. its loaded with gar but i dont know what depth to fish for them. or what bait.
Are you talking about 'gator gar? If so, then I don't have any advice, but am really jealous that you guys down there have those monsters! :) If they're smaller gar, try tying a small jig or twister tail on with about 18"s of extra line after the jig, they'll swipe at the jig and get their mouth wrapped up in your line and won't be able to get off, that's what I do to catch gar up here. Hope this helps, I don't think depth really matters much just reel it in nice 'n slow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.