Big game

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Aug 3, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was also wondering if the gold big game reels are the same as the black series, or are they different

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Are you talking about the 7000 reels? If son the black ones have a 5.3to1 gear ratio, and the gold ones have the 4.1to1. I believe that's about the only difference.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    doesent the black ones have the carbon fiber drag?

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    kscathunter,

You're right...The black ones ($149) are the upper end big games....I personally went with the Abu Garcia 7000iC3 and got a cheaper reel with the line capacity of 325yds of 17lb test that has IAR....I think the 7000BG has a narrow spool and less line capacity....Dwight

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    From what I understand, all the new abus have the carbon fiber drag washers.

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    xringer,

Well, from what I understand, the cheaper ones still have the 5 washer system, but the iC3's and the higher end Abu's have the carbon Matrix....Unless their 08 models are all coming out with em....I know the "red" 7000 still has the cheaper 5 disc drags on em....But when they wear, you can upgrade the red to an iC3 with a kit.....Dwight

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's kinda what I meant. They're transitioning to the one kind of drag and I believe by 08 they'll all be the same then.

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Ok, good deal....That's the first I had heard of it....It's an improvement....See ya around....Gotta go to Michigan and Ohio for next week...You're in charge...lol....Dwight

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't leave a pollock in charge, there's no tellin WHAT things will be like when you get back, LMAO! Just tell me were the fish are and let someone else run things!

As far as the drag washers, that's just what I was hearing, but you know how stories go. It would make alot of sense financially though to only have one kind or washers for all the reels. They don't seem to be any more expensive than the other ones anyway.