Big Game Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by mcbluegill, Jun 27, 2007.

1. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've seen posts of big game line. I used to use 40lb test but found out it was hard to break. I switched to 20lb and it is much better. Did anyone have similar results?

2. fishin4cat

fishin4cat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i tested several lines lately here was the results

Trilene Big cat 30lb.--------------------took 39bs to break
    Big Game 30lb.-------------------------took 37bs to break
    offshore angler 25 lbs.------------------took 22lbs to break
    Cajun Red 25lbs.-----------------------took 17 lbs to break
    Cabelas salt striker 25lbs.---------------took 21 lbs to break
    Cabelas salt striker 20 lbs.--------------took 14 lbs to break

I test 12 different kinds of line and found big game and trilene Big cat to be the stongest. they each had 30 inches of line and the same kind of knots.

aaron

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    my fav mono is trilene big game or big cat, seems to be pretty much the same stuff from what ive experianced with it.

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Big game seems to be the most popular line used by fishermen on this board but I don't use it.When the weather is a little cool it seems stiff and has too much memory.
    Jake

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use Trilene Big Game 15 pound test on most of my outfits, and I honestly have a real hard time breaking off when I get snagged. I have dragged the anchor a couple of times trying to break the line.

I put 20 pound Big Game on another outfit, and I think I damaged the reel slightly trying to break off the first time?

Big Game is deffinately very tough stuff, and from test I've done in the past, it generally breaks almost 1.5 times the rated test on the package.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds like a good problem to have don't it? Using a line that is hard to break when going after big cats. But yeah I sure hope 20 pound line is easier to break then 40.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I posted this elsewhere but SPORT FISHING magazine has the best line test article I have ever read in the latest edition.They compare virtually every line out there in 20lb test,both mono and braid.They also tested each line with some diffrent knots.Eye opening as to when you favorite line actually breaks as opposed to the rated test.:big_smile:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I like the 30lb big game and also love the mossy oak 20lb and 30lb lines.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I had a lot of trouble with several spools of 30 lb Big Game, where it would break with very little pressure when I was tying my knots. That was enough to destroy any confidence I had in the line.

I switched to Ande 30 lb mono (the "Premium" grade, not the far more expensive "Tournament" grade) and haven't had a problem since. Caught numerous big fish (including the one in my avatar) and haven't broken one off yet.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Musta been a bad couple spools. I've never had no problems with any of it!!!!

11. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    All those lines will break off fairly easy if you get the stretch out of it then wrap it around a round piece of wood and give it a quick jerk. I use 30lb to 50lb mono of different brands along with some power pro on a couple reels and with the mono you almost have to walk the length of my boat to get the stretch out of it depending on how far you've cast it out before you can break it.

12. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I used big game for a while but like it has been said before there is just too much memory in this line. That is the only reason I don't use it. But I really like the price of it.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think Berkley Big Game is a great line and helps the confidence factor. If you ae satisfied with your line and use good terminal tackle to match, you only need to find the fish.Skipjack helps too.:big_smile:

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the 45 and 50 pound big game for my leaders for flathead fishing. i use it because it is hard to break!
    on the line breaking while tying knots, try spitting on the knot before you tighten it down. friction can break the knot right away, or weaken your line. if you are already lubricating the knot and it breaks, might have been some old line.

15. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I don't know the truth to what my boss has told me and don't know how it works but he said the IGFA has a hard time recognizing Big Bame for records because of the breaking strength. I really don't care myself because personally al I want to do is get the fish on the boat and if a line is that strong I want it. I use big game on all my reels as I replace line. Have some that still have power pro but thats too expensive for me.

16. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i use 20lb and 50lb big game on my poles most of the time and have not had to many problems out of it. and when i do get snagged up that 22 caliber pop when it breaks above water sure gets the attention of everyone around you.