Big Game breaking question

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Gary C, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Gary C

Gary C New Member

State:
    ky
    I read somewhere, a post that had the breaking point for different test line, example actual breaking point of 25 lb test line, the breaking point was greater than the line test, Does anyone know where to find this chart on Berkley Big Game thanks

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I've seen lists like that before but often they were tested without knots in the line. I can't fish without knots in my line so I thought the data was somewhat unimportant.

3. Gary C

Gary C New Member

State:
    ky
    I understand ,still would like to see the chart if anyone has any information

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sports Fishing-Initial dry break strength. You will have to google this site. I can't seem to get it attached as a length. It gives all of the brands break strength in regard to 20# test.

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i told you guys this before about berkley putting 20lb test on 10lb spools and claiming its much stronger than the competition now there is the proof. also notice all of the brands with "IGFA" in their name breaks at or below its stated except for suffix. i do believe for an igfa line class recrord your line has to break at or below its stated strength. also did you notice not 1 braided line broke at or below its stated strength? very interesting.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats correct. In fact for an IGFA line record you have to submit line samples.
    The difference in an IGFA line and other lines is consistency.
    You take a line that is not IGFA and its all over the place in pound test in a matter of a few yards. Sometimes by quite a bit.
    The IGFA is going to hold pretty steady at or below.
    The manufacturing standards are higher.
    Is it better line?
    I would say so in pound test department because you know what you got when you spool up. Not what you hope you have.

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
  8. Gary C

Gary C New Member

State:
    ky
    Thanks Mickey for the Info

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    yeah thats what happened to David Deuel he caught the world record red drum but since his shockleader was more than 20ft he missed out on the line class record.

10. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've played with some VERY unscientific tests in my garage to gauge line strength with abrasion resistance, and I'll tell you, the only consistent thing about it is that is was INCONSISTENT. But, I thought, what the hell, fishing conditions are inconsistent too.

Now, my tests were only with mono, but the same line from different portions of the spool would break high one time, low a different time, right on yet still another time. Same thing with abrasion tests. Of course, I haven't tested (maybe played with is a better term, lol) every brand, but the above proved true for 5 different lb tests of Big Game, three of Bass Pro Excel, two of Stren, and three of Silver Thread AN40.

The Big Game was the WORST, I mean, it was SO variable that I'll never use Big Game again. Period. The Stren Original Clear Blue (my old stand-by) was the most consistent. That's amusing to me, really, because they are both products from Pure Fishing, but I guess that they still use the original formulations of each??

I much prefer the European system of using the line diameter in corelation with break strength. Line diameters are all over the place, one brand of 20lb line might put 200 yards on your spool, another might only put 150yds on it. When I'm deciding on a line, I try to find the diameter in MM, because 95% of reels list the capacity in MM on the spool. Then I will actually know how much line I have on the spool, rather than just using a rough estimate. If I want to put 200 yards of 50lb line on a reel, I can get it done accurately.

I think that this is one area that braids really excel in, they almost always have the line diameter readily available, since extra capacity is one of their big selling points. They also seem much more consistent in diameter too.

David Duels 94lb drum was a BEAST. I've seen the pictures, I couldn't imagine fighting that beast.