Big Game 9000. Is it harder to cast?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by USE TO BE, Aug 1, 2007.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm thinking of buying one of the Abu Big Game 9000's. It's new, but not the new 2007 model. I can get it for $69.99. It is my understanding that this reel doesn't have any centrifigal brake controls on it. I have not used a baitcast that did not have these. My question is, how much more difficult will it be to cast with not having any brakes? I have a couple of 7000's and I can cast them fine with 2 of the small brakes left in them, but if I took them out, I would probably make bird nests.

2. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just can't decide if I should go with the 9000, or get a 7000B for the same price and upgrade the drag and add bearings. I was thinking I could use the 9000 solely for big cats and bait it with big blue gill. I have 2 7000's I love, and I am itching to get something different.

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Take the breaks out of one of your 7000's and cast it a few times then you will know for sure.Make medium cast to start with and be ready with your thumb.
    Jake

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've thrown 7000s for years with only two brakes in them. I got one of the 9000BG reels from the same place you're looking at. I threw it all night the first trip I had it and noticed it cast as easy or easier than my 7000s, and I could cast it farther. It wasn't untill the next day that I discovered it didn't have any brakes in it! You can still adjust the spool tension with the knobs, just make sure you have your thumb on the side of the spool ready for it to hit the water, and you won't have any problems. If you're used to the 7000s, then I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the 9000. It's a helluva reel!:big_smile:

5. baitboy

baitboy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like to cast with no breaks during the day but sometimes at night when you cant hear the bait hit I need one. It seems like the time delay for a 75 yard cast results in a birds nest.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The spot we have to hit sometimes to get to were the fish are is 130 yards. It's a little more tricky at night, you just have to time it right before your thumb hits the spool. Thowing enough in the daylight to get the timing down helps me at night. I just can't get complacent, LOL.