Big Game 20# on Zebco 733 Hawg ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyron4, May 14, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does anyone know if Berkley Big Game 20 lbs. line works well on a "new" Zebco 733 Hawg spincast reel ? I usally use 17# XL because it's cast smooth and dosen't twist , kink or spiral, however lack the abrasive qualities needed when fishishing on a rocky bottom.. How's Big Game compared to XL in a spincast 733 ? -Thanks

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Mike I think it would have to much memory for that type of reel...you might want to consider 20XL...20lb Berkley Ironsilk or 20lb Stren Easy Cast.....I am sure others have more suggestions that use that type of reel. Good luck in your quest.

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I keep these reels for my wife , she can't seem to get the hang of a bait caster, and I put 20# big game on them, but she thinks the XL cast a little better, but what does she know she mostly catches turtles anyway.

4. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i would have to agree with itch on this one berkley big game is some greeat stuff. but its loaded with memory in my opion. almost to much for to even be on baitcasters. but thats what i spool all of my baitcasters with. its cheap and very strong line. but the 20lb iron silk is some great stuff. my sister in law currently has that line on her 808's seems to preform very well. with some ultra smooth casts. so good luck

5. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I spooled up with 20# Big Game (dark green) and through some casts in the back field with a 1/2 oz. weight. I got it to cast at about 25 yds. every time, maybe 30 yds. if I really swang it. Line showed more "memory" than XL , but functioned fine on the 733 after 20 casts. I'm going try it this year and see how it works for me. Since I have 650yds. of it I may spool on some 17# XL and compare. I'd just hate to loose a fish because of a nick in the line. Maybe use the Big game for leaders if I like the XL better. -Thanks