Big flatheads near Chicago?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by dcamacho13, Mar 3, 2008.

1. dcamacho13

dcamacho13 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello everyone, I'm a new member to the site and I want to start fishing for flathead catfish. I live in Chicago and would like to find the closest place possible for a chance at some big cats (20+). Unfortunately I do not own a boat so I would have to fish from shore. I'll take info on rivers or lakes, as long as I get a chance to do some fishing. Thanks a lot.

2. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never fished there myself. but in my last issue of one of my IL newsletters, it was a showcase of Braidwood lake. It is a cooling lake, so there should be some pretty big cats in there. I am thinking about heading up that way sometime before it gets too warm to try it out. If anybody else has fished it, can you give us some info?

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC from KY!!!:big_smile:

4. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC David. I'm not familiar with your area, but I'm sure there is a flathead with your name on it close by.:wink:

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    the rock river is not too far away.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Welcome aboard from Southern Illinois!

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome aboard sorry not much information on your area...I am sure some one will chime in soon with some news in your area...There are 3 rivers up your way that I know of...Kankakee,Illinois, and Des Plains all 3 have the fish you are looking for but not sure of any locations for you to fish...

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I can offer no help... sorry bud.

9. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Besides the places that were already mentioned the Fox River has some decent flatheads. Its probably the closest place to you where you can get into them. My biggest is a 25 pounder, but I know guys who have gotten them bigger. It gets a lot of pressure so just make sure to let them go so we can all enjoy them!

10. fisherman83

fisherman83 New Member

State:
    IL
    If I was to try it would be the rock river, over by the rockford area. I have seen some 30 pound plus fish been caught out of there. Good luck:big_smile:

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm from east central IL. I travel to chicago often for training. Although I've never fished it. I drive by a nice river every time that i want to fish. It's the desplaines river. and there's a state park just south of chicago in wilmington.I'ts a nice river. Lots of barge traffic, so i know it's deep enough. attached is a link of the park if you want to check it out..http://http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/parks/I&M/EAST/DESPLAIN/PARK.HTM
    Use this link, or copy and paste. --->>http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/parks/I&M/EAST/DESPLAIN/PARK.HTM

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry. it's the kankakee river............