Big flathead catfish still going strong on the Big Pee Dee River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by rivercatsc, Oct 22, 2006.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I got to go to the big pee dee river this weekend with a couple other guys from my club and the flatties were still hot in the cool morning. Between all three boats we netted and released 126lbs of fish by 12:00. The biggest of them was a pair of 24lb flatties. We only caught 3 blues but had plenty of blues bitting but not commiting to the bait. If you get a chance try some early winter flatties before the water temp drops to much.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sounds like you folks had a great day, James. Wish I could have been there, too. :smile2: Keep us updated. Hope to get back on the pee dee myself before the water temps drop too much more.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Me and the my two dogs went to the river yesterday morning to the pee dee and boated 7 nice fish (4 blues and 3 flatties) that totalled 110lbs. The biggest was a 29lb flattie. The fish have moved off of the cover for deeper swifter water in the bends of the river. The flatties have been near the cover but usually down river from it about 50 to 100 yards. They have been feeding mainly on only live bait (bream and eells). I found that cutting them and making them bleed a little seems to work wonderful, and the big flatties can not pass up a bleeding bream. I hope to see everyone in the river reel soon.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I would like to fish the Pee Dee River one of these days.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Let me know when you want to go I am always looking for someone to fish with. Couldnt find anyone thursday so I had to bring my dogs with me, but at least I got to reel in all the fish. It can be alittle tricky boating a 29LB flattie with no help and two dogs wanting to stand under your feet. I think they get just as exited as I do at the site of a rod going down. Like I said let me know I can usally have plenty of free time away from work cause I work 12hour shifts. Hope to hear from u soon.

6. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    never caught a flatty. maybe one day we can get together and go, and ill take you to moultrie.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds good to me man I am always looking for someone to fish with.

8. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Nick,
    Keep fishing moultrie the way you have been and make sure your tossing out a live bream, perch,shiner, or something else that wiggles, and that flatty will come soon.
    Matt

9. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    i have tried,
    bream, shinners, herring live and dead, shad, and worms.
    caught my fair share of blues and 2 stripers, but no flatty.
    one day i will get mine.
    i cant wait to go again. real soon

10. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Find you a good hill or dropoff & anchor on the slope.Put your baits just off the bottom and wait.You have to give Flatheads time.Sometimes you have to hit them directly on the head w/ the bait before they bite.

11. screamnclickersc

State:
    S.C.
    On vacation all next week-i'll be on the Pee Dee River hard all week if anyone cares to join me.

12. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man I wish I could but I am going camping all next week. I am leaving sunday and will not be back until thanksgiving. Where are you planning on fishing? Please lets us know how you did. Good Luck!

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I got back in the river this weekend and got 2 good flatheads and 1 blue then the boat motor decided we had fished enough and died. Went back by myself in my boat this time on tuesday. I got there at noon and left at dark with 12 blues the biggest was 23lbs most of them where around 10-12lbs. I did miss a big flathead the hook had turned and hooked back into the live bream I was using. I fished with live bream, live eells, and with some live and cut gizzard shad I had left over from the lake. The winner was live eels 11 and live bream 1. They were smoking the eells. I wish I could have got there earilier in the morning I think I could have really smoked them.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's a good report there, James. Thanks. How hard is it to fish peedee when the water is up like it is now? How much weight do you use, and do you use the same setup as when we went together? Just curious.

15. screamnclickersc

State:
    S.C.
    Water level up?!!We fished the Pee Dee at Cheraw yesterday & Society Hill today-got skunked both trips-no water up this way.We fished Blewitt Falls Sat. and the lake level was down at least 4 feet.---Is the stretch of river down yalls way fed buy some other river?

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It may be down now. It was up earlier in the month. I know Black River near me is still 3' or more higher than normal, but I haven't been by PeeDee down on my end lately.

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The river is really low around 5ft. Still using the same rigs with mainly live eells that seems to be all they want right now. Every fish I cleaned the other day was full of some small fish but stuffed full of crawfish. Never had much luck with them though but I have never tried the in the winter. I had a buddy of mine that fishes society hill alot caught a 57#,and 46# blue with a couple other smaller fish last sunday. I hope get back to the lake next week probably thursday and hopefully be sporting a new humminbird 737 (from santa)LOL. I hope i have been good this year. I hope everyone remebers what (Christ)mas is about and have a safe holiday season.

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jimmy try the live eells that should be the ticket. Hook them through the lips or eyes and cut them until the bleed a few inches from the end of their tail. Tommy I heard they have been burning the big cats up in the black river.

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, James. I would fish the black river more, but I get frustrated at seeing so many trotlines on the lower sections. My problem; I guess I need to learn to deal with it. Sometimes I don't see how a fish can swim through wome areas down there, at least where I've been.
    Now that the lake is getting close to cooling down, I'll probably fish up there more than anyplace else.
    Thanks for the info on water level. There isn't a good gaging station for that area, so I don't know how to judge from the computer reports.

20. screamnclickersc

State:
    S.C.
    Where do you find the eels?No baitstores up this way carry them.