Big flathead catfish river or lake?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by redwiskers, Jan 19, 2007.

1. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I was just wondering about flathead fishing in lakes. I've always been a river guy myself but after looking at some state records around the country it seems a lot of them came from lakes. What do you think lake or river?

2. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Shew wee that is hard, Id imagine a river but I know that there are some huge ones in lakes too.

Wheelmobile07

3. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    around here most of the big ones come form rivers but i live on a small lake and step son has got a 60 off it

4. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i would think river, but if a lake has the right depth, cover, and baitfish there might be flatheads in it

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My opinion is that big flatheads are easier to target in lakes because there is little to no current to change the structure on the bottom of the lake. Anglers can often find the flatheads in the spring when they are invading the crappie beds in the shallow flats. Flathead patterns in lakes doesnt change as much as they do in the rivers which make them an easy target. The rivers hold huge flatheads but I believe they are more elusive because of the changing conditions and patterns.

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I agree with what Wolfman said and remember if the river feeding the lake has good flatheads chances are that lake should have some big ones in it too.

7. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sad as it may seem, most flatheads come from a river channel. how evrer there are a lot of flats in lakes that are natural from a major river channel
    The mississippi river, the arkansas river and it's tributaries are fantastic places to fish in high water periods, if you can find a backwater tributary that is out of the main river current

8. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    River for me!! I love to fish the river. Flatheads are the king of the cats where I fish and I love to chase them.

9. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
  10. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I myself, am open minded. I mean, I love to fish, lake, river, ditch, it don't matter to me. If they are in a lake I want to fish good, or if they are in the river I am fishing, good. I like to experience all aspects of fishing, plus I fish tournys so I want to know all I can about them all. JMO.

11. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You have to remember alot of lakes are just a damned up river. Texas for example only has 1 natural lake..Lake Caddo. So the same fish that are in the rivers that connect the lakes, can be in the lakes as well.

Some of the the best lakes in my area are part of the colorado, trinity, and brazos river systems.

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Another thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot more people in the rivers targeting the flatheads, where in the lakes, the majority of hooks are intended for bass, crappie, walleye, etc. The lower pressure makes for better fishing, also makes the rivers look that much better, as more hooks usually = more fish, so you hear more about river fish than lake fish.

I am not close enough to any of the big river systems, so I have better luck in the lakes in my area..........but if only I lived closer to the big rivers...............:eek:oooh:

13. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i gotta go with RIVER!!! people round here pull some 60+ flats out of the arkansas every year. i don't know about the lakes around here except for kerr, which the arkansas river run through. some big flats come from there too. but i would rather fish the river channel.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I perfer the river, l dont think lakes are that great for catfishing.

15. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    as far as preference goes, there is just something about river fishing that i love. i may be wrong, but it seems to me that with changing water current, bottom contour, and structure, you could target the same areas multiple times with the fish moving up and down the river. but i have caught some great flatheads out of lakes also

16. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'd rather fish the river any day.

17. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well since there isnt any flaheads in lakes up here I can safely say they come from rivers!:lol:

18. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey Red:

My vote goes to rivers. I find rivers a lot easier to read and locate fish, but some guys do just as well in lakes. You do hear thsoe stories about the mosnter flatheads that come from reserviors.

19. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    i lean towards rivers in the summer and lakes in the winter. because noodling season

20. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I am not sure, there have been bigger fish from Ohio lakes and again in the Ohio river. I've always dreamed of fishing the Mississippi River...must
    be a Mark Twain thing.