Big Flathead catfish on cut bluegills at night time in Illinois

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Firecat41, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Well I figure that the fishing was so good this morning that I had better go back and try tonight. Well, it was a good thing I went back. I took 14 blue gill with me, and only 3 alive when I made it to the river. I was fishing one pole with live gill and another with cut gill. I only had one run on the live gill in 3 hours, the cut gill on the other hand was another story. At one time I had two fish both good size and of course the bigger fish is on the smaller pole (a shimono FX200 and medium heavy 6' rod and 12 lbs spider wire). After all was said and done one Flathead 12.36 lbs and a Channel 8.77 lbs on the bank. By this time I am using cut bait on both poles, I ended up with two more flathead one 12.17 lbs and the last one of the night was 6.83 lbs. So in total today I have landed 3 fish over 10 and 4 more over 5 that is a damn good day in my book. This is all on the Rock river just outside of Rockton and from the shore. I hope to brake the 25 lbs mark this year a lot of time to go.

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I use cut up gills too because I can rarely get out early enough to catch any before it gets too dark to get to my spot. I usually get out and get some during the week and freez 'em. I have had some good action on them.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught many more flatheads on cut bait than I have live bait.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I don't have a lot of experience with cut bait but this evening I was out fishing and the 1st fish I caught was a 11" Perch. It swallowed my hook and was bleeding out the gills so it became cut bait! I used the Perch head on one rod and had several good strikes and finally caught a 21" Flathead. I will experiment with cut bait again!
    /SIZE]

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice goin rob! you never know if they want to chase a bait or just suck up a snack. we always try both to see what they want.

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have had luck on cut bait once for flat heads, but usualy what i catch them on is fresh live shad. It is hard to keep shad alive so the second i catch a shad i have to be quick to get it on my hook and in the water. They dont stay alive for long but i usuly get a flatty pretty quick with it being alive, ive tryed throwing dead shad out for them but they never want that were i fish, they seem to like the live injured ones.

7. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`ve caught my biggest Flat(43 in) on a cut Bluegill.It was 2 of us and 1 Bluegill left,so....it was cut rite down the middle.

8. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yep and I am still waiting on that phone call Rob, nice catch by the way. I haven't got my lic. switched yet so I have to get the 24hr ones. But went out sunday, had some good runs but they skunked me. Can't wait to get my first Rock river Flattie.