Big Flathead Catfish, Kayaks and Kids!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Mason my 12 year old and I had a really good night on the Wakarusa last night. We did the same stretch that Mallory and I did a couple of weeks ago except that this time the fish were bigger and the camera worked. We caught a few small fish on the way down but nothing worth keeping until we hit the spot that Mallory caught her 7 pounder out of. Mason walked up and dropped his line in a couple of minutes before me and nothing happened but as soon as my line hit the water a big one jumped all over it. Mason about freaked. This is a very small pool and the fish put in a heck of a show. A big dark colored spawned out male Channel, when I landed him he weighted 8 lbs 15 oz but he had the head of a 15 pound fish, CPR’d that one. I told Mason to fish the next pool down and let things settle for awhile, 10 minutes later he went back up and hooked another in the same spot, he had a heck of a time with it but with a little couching :cool2: he landed it, 8 lbs 10 oz and a real nice looking fish so we kept that one.
    We went on down and set up camp and put out 4 limb lines. Two heavy lines one baited with a 7” bullhead and the other with a green perch. The other two were smaller line and baited with cut chubs. We then went back and fished from a gravel bar until time to run the lines at midnight. Mason caught several small channel and a couple of drum on worms and I caught my first Wakarusa River Flathead 7 lbs 7 oz on a med sized Greenie:big_smile:. When we ran the lines we had two small channel on the cut bait and the perch was gone so we rebaited and went back to camp to clean fish and get some sleep.
    We were up at 6:15 to run the lines. The first big line had a big male channel almost identical to the one I caught the day before and I let him go after he about beat me to death in the Kayak:eek:oooh:. Next was a small line that I had baited with the front half of a Chub. This line was on as small green branch about the size of my thumb out on the end of a maple that had fell in the water with some brush next to it. As we got close I could see that the limb was ridding low and holding steady. I told mason to hold back because it looked like it might be a good fish. When I pulled up the line ran over into the brush and I figured the fish had tangled it and got off. I pulled up and could feel the fish and he was tangled but still there. I pulled a couple times and he pulled back and by some miracle came right out of the snag:roll_eyes:. I told Mason he was pretty heavy and pulled him to the top right next to the boat:eek:oooh:. That’s when all He## broke loose. He soaked me, ripped the line out of my hand and smacked me with the limb all at once:tounge_out:. I went back and got the line and just worked him up and down for awhile. I could tell he had been on the line for awhile because he was pretty worn out. After playing him awhile and a couple more soakings I pulled him up, lipped him and pulled him into my lap. A 44 lb Flathead in a 9’3” Kayak…Oh Yah!
    After I had him in the boat I cut the line and went to the bank where I tucked his head in my life vest and tied him down with a bungee cord:roll_eyes:. I pulled the lines as we head back to camp to take pictures. We took pictures and I walked him around in the water for a few minutes after which he gave me one more soaking and headed back to his brush pile to rest up and get bigger. I really wish I had caught him on rod and reel but just landing a pig like that from the Yak was a blast and Mason had a chance to see quite the show:big_smile_2:. After a cup of coffee and some breakfast we walked back up to the honey hole but did not have much luck except that I caught a nice Wiper and then hooked another that I gave to Mason to fight, he ended up getting off but only after making several drag pulling runs and Mason had fun, all he could say was “Man them things can fight”. I think the boy is hooked. Anyway we had a great time caught some nice fish and I proved to myself that I can put a big one in the Yak, just need to do it on R/R now:0a32:
    P.S. Mallory told me to not let him catch a bigger one than she did……SORRY!......NOT :wink:

Attached Files:

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Thats a fantastic trip that both of you will remember for the rest of your lives.:cool2:

3. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Looks like a blast.

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Congrats Alan, Thanks for the story and pics. You caught a boat load of fish with one fish!

5. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Good story.

I had a similar experience down there in one of the "first" two man bass boats, you know, the ones with the sides about 8" tall:eek:oooh:

Good times:cool2:

6. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Greatly enjoyed reading your story, sounds like one heck of a trip! Glad ya got him hooked, soon he'll be outfishing even you, dad!

7. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congratulations, you had a heck of a trip. I would have liked to watch the battle in the kayak, I know how hard it is to land them with a big net in a jon boat, I bet that was a real challenge. Great job on releasing the big one, everyone around home still thinks I am crazy when I do that but at least all of you on here understand. Good luck on catching more

8. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    WHAT A TRIP, QUITE A FLATTIE FOR A YACK, ILL BET THAT WAS A BATTLE, SOME THING YOU LOOK BACK ON IN THE FUTURE, A A GOOD STORY TO BOOT :big_smile:

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Great story and pics Alan. Ive caught more flatheads on cut bait this year than I have live.:confused2::smile2:
    Tell Mason congrats on that HAWG channel.:wink:
    Thats great that you released him Alan. Shows you can have your cake and "eat" it too.:smile2:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  10. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    The BOC has really changed how I look at CPR. A couple of years ago that fish would be soaking in my refrigerator right now instead of the river...:sad2:.

11. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I missed getting these attached

Attached Files:

12. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for sharing the story and pics Alan. Congrats! It's definitely a trip to be remembered...Mason's gotta be hooked on fishing for sure :cool2:

13. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Great work guys! I think I got just as good of a feeling from letting the big one go that I got this weekend as I did from catching it. I'm glad you see it that way too.

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Alan,again what a trip you had.And to have the kids out there camping yaking and fishing a small river like that is something they will never forget.

When my boys were young I did the same thing with them.Now they are in their 30's but we still fish every chance we get.But they have not forgot those trips on the small rivers and lake that we fished when they were young.
    I really miss those trips.

I know that river you are fishing pretty good,and have some privite areas up stream and it is a great area to get away from the hassle of the city.

What a fish that you and your Son hauled in.And that goes for any body of water.Congrats!!!!!!!
    Great Story and pictures Alan...Tell the son congrats on a great fish he caught and look forward to your next trip.

15. nOct3rn4l

nOct3rn4l Member

State:
    Kansas
    Awesome Story and Awesome fish! Sounds like one heck of a great time you two had, Reps to both of ya for the big release.:big_smile:

16. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Alan, Tell Mason congrats on a huge Channel also Congrats on your nice Flat:smile2::wink:. Sounds like a very fun trip. Thanks for sharing the pics an the story.

17. Little Tree Rat

Little Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    dang it daddy i told u not to let him catch a fish bigger than mine!! :big_smile: its ok, i already told him congrats and good job, maybe he will leave me alone and not brag to much:wink:...if we dont get the change to do another overnighter before school starts i want to do atleast a day trip..and then pull another overnighter next summer...o since boo isnt going to camp next year im tryin to talk him into commin out next summer if thats cool!! :big_smile: i ♥ u

18. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Great story Alan. Them are the trips that kids will remember for the rest of their lives. Congrats to you and Mason.

19. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like a great trip Alan!:wink:

20. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 New Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Great story and fish. The smile on Masons face says it all. Limb line or rod I would of loved to catch that monster.