Big Flathead Catfish Caught From Lake Logan

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catmanblues, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Myself, grandson age 3, an my oldest son decided to try a little flathead fishing last night. We went out around 7 pm an caught some nice blue gills. Around 8:30 we were in my favorite fishing spot for the flatty's. Was my first time to this spot this year as I had been doing mostly channel cat fishing.
    We both baited up an let the Okuma reels do their thing. Wasn't within 30 minutes had a fish on. Reeled em in an it was a 4lb channel cat. Grandson was going silly with a fish bigger then what was in the bait bucket. Around 10 pm my son had a super nice run an waited patient to stop the bait alert an then reared back to make sure the hook set. Of course you would know it that he had the drag set to almost super tight because he just does not believe what I tell em about drag an the fight was on as the 12ft. rod bent completely down to the edge of the water with me hollaring for him to loosen the drag. Didn't even have enough time as that hog snapped the line like a high powered rifle. A good lesson for him there as it was a monster fish no doults about it.
    At 11:20 I was sitting quiet an thinking of the one we had lost when all at once my bait alert went singing those beautiful notes. I clicked back the bait alert an set the number 7 circle hook an the fight was on. Being aware of a lost fish already I took my time an got this flatty to the net. Went to get the camera an it was still in the truck so had to carry this baby out of the fishing hole to take a couple pics of em. He was 45 an a half inches long an weighed in at 41.4 lbs.
    Going back out tonight an see if we can catch the one that got away last night. Maybe that flatty is still hungry!

2. newarkcatman

newarkcatman New Member

State:
    lickin,hanover
    nice fish.

3. gb306

gb306 New Member

State:
    indiana
    SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD NIGHT TO BAD THE BIG ONE HAD TO GET AWAY YOULL GET HIM NEXT TIME .....

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    First off welcome to the BOC. Many thanks for the post an sure hope I do catch a few more in the hole.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. Thanks for the post I appreciate it.

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    congrats on a good one glenn way to go

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on a really nice flathead!!!!! Hope you catch the one that got away!!!

8. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    nice fish, thanks for the story and pic, it looks like ur grandson was likeing that whale,:big_smile:

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the nice flat.hopefully ya get ahold of the big one that got away

10. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Awesome catch Glenn. I'll bet that one that got away was a monster.

11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Awesome fish Glenn!

12. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Beautiful fish Glenn. Good ole Lake Logan. Congrats on the Fish and getting the kids out there. Now go get the one that got away too!.:big_smile:

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    way to go on the big flat, I am happy for you..I cant catch lake flatheads.

Tried Logan several times with no luck.

14. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish.I'm glad to see there other things besides turtles in there:smile2:

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I understand what you mean. Gotta know the spot where the flattys kinda hang around out there an then it's the complete darkness no lights till fish on. I usually use a glow stick an/or balloon while sitting quiet.