Big Flat Problem

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by elshale, Oct 3, 2005.

1. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Checking out some pictures of the Large catfish I have caught out in my 4 acre pond. I noticed a difference beteeen the catfish I caught Large Channel and the 5 lbs cat that my nephew caught. One was it was muddy brown, 2nd it had an underbight with a flattened head, and last tail wasnt forked. Someone has introduced either a flatheed or mor than one flathead into the pond. What do I need to do to fix this problem.

2. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    A fishing pole and a 3-5 inch bluegill and you dont have a problem anymore you have a Fish on.....LOL

3. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    I really hope it will be that easy. I mean crazy that htis fish was in my private pond was only 5 lbs but still I bet that fish can eat the mess out some fish..

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i wouldnt even look at it totally as a problem.....i would look at it like u might have some monster fish out there to catch........how big is this pond?? do u know the depth of it?? You said earlier there are plenty of blue gills in there right....then again it might be one of those bull heads........they look a lot like flat heads........Im not too sure what their differences are except bullheads dont get really big like flatties do

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya. bullheads do have the tail like a flathead. if it was 5# wow if it was a bullhead. the yellow and black stste records in il are 5#.6 oz and 5#.4 oz. see if this pic helps any.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this is the pic of the catfish id.

7. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    where can i find that complete chart??? is it on this site??

8. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    It's in the Illinois fishing regulations book or you can download it from the IL DNR website.

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

The PDF file that Tim posted is a very good chart for identification.

Ray

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya that chart is sweet. very discriptive and right on the money.

11. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Chart confirmed it it was a flathead. Largest mouth I have seen on a cat with top fin set far back and molted brown color. Underbite and it was 5 lbs. There is a good chance my nephew hooked a bluegill first anf then hooked the flattie. He was fishing for bluegill. I will upload the pics....If there is only one I would doubt there was a problem The fun part is finding out if thre was more then one

12. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    hey buddy, if u got more flats in there i would love to help u fish em out, or if they've been there i would just leave em.....they obviously havent caused too much destruction.......either way i would love to help ya out.....snellville I think is about 10 miles away........

13. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Hey even if I can't fish you are still welcome to come fishin. Later.

14. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    im not gonna come over to ur place to fish without ya brother......that doesnt seem right now..........but how does saturday look??

15. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Will be in Florida. Oh and I am having 200 10 inch channels stocked Tuesday of next week. So How long you going to be in Ga. I will be feeding them every other day so they should be catchable by dec jan