big flat heads at wheeler?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by bamawhiskers, Feb 20, 2008.

1. bamawhiskers

bamawhiskers New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey guys catchin a bunch of big blues 50-70 pounds at wheeler but have yet to find a big shovel head. any advice?

2. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Probably still a little cool for good flatheading. The water levels are still pretty low, below alot of the cover they are usually in. Give it a couple more weeks, and maybe they will be getting hungry for some Bluegill on a circle hook sandwiches.

3. bamawhiskers

bamawhiskers New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks man we have been doin pretty good with the blues around the cold snaps. but in all my years fishing up there i just havent found a flat head over 10 pounds or so. i am deffinalty gonna go try when it warms up:eek:oooh:

4. mostowage

mostowage New Member

State:
    nebraska
    awsome good luck all

5. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    What do you use to catch flat heads, and where do you fish for them at? I've never fished for them, but I've always heard about them.

6. RedXpress

RedXpress New Member

State:
    Birmingham, Alabama
    You fishing above or below/around the dam at Wheeler?

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    The big flatheads are there. They are just not as prevalent as the blues. Like most Tennessee River impoundments the blue is king. I have a buddy from Huntsville that has caught up to a 44 pound flathead at Wheeler. He catches them with some regularity. I'm heading down there myself in a few weeks to tangle with some flatties.

8. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Good luck hope you catch a boat load