Big Fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Gaffney Catman, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    What would you do if you caught a world record fish- Take the record or let the fish go?

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Considering the world record cat is probably worth at least 100K, there is NO question what I would do. :wink::smile2::wink:
    BB in SC

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Who's paying out the 100K? This the first I have heard this. I would take the record hands down no questions asked.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yea iv never heard of record fish being worth anything uther than bragging rights thats a new one on me:confused2:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I occasionally see 100K and higher offered for a world record catfish. Here's an old one.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/043008/geo_273517576.shtml

I guess it's all in marketing, if you do catch a WR. I suppose those big outfits with the huge fish tanks in their showrooms would certainly spring the dough for a world record to display alive. I doubt if I ever get the opportunity to try my strategy, but... who knows? :wink:

bill in SC

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Bill, with the kinda luck you been havin It is more probable that you, my friend, could in fact catch the next world record................boat deal! :wink::smile2:

And maybe a HUGE fish to boot! :eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the way our BOC brother, Radish, handled it. He took a picture and released it. Definitely a record fish.

8. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Does he have the picture we can see up on here? Or can you put up the link to it?
    As far as the question posed: I personally would dump the ice out of my 168qt cooler. Fill it with water FAST stick his head in there and have someone hold him best as possible. Haul AZZ cross the waters to the first available certified scale. Weigh it while taking a pic or 3 and release hopefully without harming a marvelous creature as such!!!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm trying to locate the pic and the link. It was all over this site. Maybe someone can help with this.

10. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    MAN THAT WAS ONE BIG FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we say 140+????????
    Thanks for the link,
    Jonathan

11. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I'd venture to say 120-140, yeah.....easy.

12. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Amazing huh... 140

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I think I'd have to bring him to the bank if at all possible keeping him alive. Sure wouldn't happen in my little jon but with my fish catching skills I seriously doubt that's a problem I gotta worry about any time soon:smile2:

14. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    what's the record in SC for blue cats or flats? In ohio, our blue record is really low. like 58 lbs. thet're a recent addition to the records though as they were recently an endangered species in ohio. There's a link to what i'm talking about that i'll post hereit's currently being discussed in the ohio section right now.

A guy recently caught a 63lb blue on the ohio river (a definite record breaker) and then let it go as claiming the record would mean death to the fish. That's how we roll up north folks.:cool2::smile2: really glad to hear about that story.

record blue from the ohio river = 104lbs.

15. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    SC Record Blue Cat- 109lbs 4oz. (Tailrace Canal)
    SC Record Flathead- 79lbs 4oz. (Santee Cooper Diversional Canal)
    SC Record Channel- 58lbs 0oz. (Lake Moultrie)
    SC Record White Cat- 9lbs 15oz. (Lake Murray)
    SC Record Bullhead- 6lbs 3oz. (Edisto River)

This information was taken directly off of the SCDNR website: http://www.dnr.sc.gov/fish/freshrecs/records.html#Catfish

16. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Funny that 3 of the records comes from the Santee Cooper waters. Should be a hint to the out-of-staters where our fish roll...

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I bet I caught a bullhead last december in the lower lake that would have been close to the record. It was so big I wasnt even sure that it was a bulhead.:smile2: Oh well I threw him back and I know where I caught him so maybe I will get him again this december if 1 of those HUGE flatheads havent eat him.:big_smile:

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I would make every attempt to get that fish alive to the Bass Pro Shop in Charlotte, NC and into one of their holding tanks.

As for the $100,000, I really doubt one of the major retailers or tackle manufacturers is ready to hand out a check like that for a catfish. Perhaps someone with some savvy marketing ability could wrangle some endorsements that would net that much.

Now, if you caught a new world record largemouth, and could keep it alive, I think you could easily wrangle a $100,000 deal.

If a fish of that size did die it would offer biologists a chance to see how old it is and perhaps that may help us with our management efforts down the road.

BTW, the fish that Radish caught was huge. I used some known measurements in the various photos to guess the length and girth. While the measurements were estimates they had a margin of error of about 5%, and there were no pictures that showed the entire lengthout of the water, the estimated weight was 135-145 pounds. Honestly, that was a conservative estimate.

In my opinion, without a doubt, that was a new world record. :wink:

19. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Hey guys,looking at the records for the catfish got me to thinking about the channel catfish record.I was wondering what was the biggest channel you guys have seen?Ive seen blues one half of the record and pictures of 60 and 70 lb but the biggest channel I can remember seeing was 13 lb.I never recall hearing or seeing one even half of the record,but I am not out there near as often as I would like to be.