BIG fish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by misterwhisker, Oct 3, 2008.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I have been told not to handle big fish too much, because of the stess a fish may take on ,or gravity can hurt a fish, that it can cause hemorrhage once you pull them out of the water can hurt them too. has anyone herd of anything like this? and should one cradel the belly?.....thanks for ne info

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Anytime you catch a fish there is always a stress factor that will be involved.

It's always a good practice to be as careful as possible while handling a fish an also very important to put fish back into water as soon as possible.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Normally since it is such a back and forth battle with a big fish, they get tired just like we do. And very stressed on occasion. Seems like every BIG fish we put in the boat throws up all over the place, probably has to do with decompression and stress. In fact the other day we had a 46 that was actually going to the bathroom all over my boat...lol. Be as careful as possible, and burp them if they come up deep, if they haven't burped themselves by then, I find just rubbing there belly helps the process, I always hold the big ones in the water under my control until they take of from my grip so I know they are ok...

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think this is why digital cameras are so important!:wink: rollo

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i agree rollo :cool2:

6. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i always hold them in the water until they kick off no matter what. but the big fish i always make sure not to lay them on the boat as much as possible or bank because the weight of their body can crush their organs. so the bigger they are, practice more efficient cpr. and like everyone else will say to you, the quicker they are returned the better off they are. and for those fish that throw up on your boat and make you mad because you have a nasty smelly mess to clean up just remember, that means he doesnt have the air bubble anymore and his chances of living are even better

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I actually thank them when they throw up all over, gives me a 100% positive idea of what they have been feeding on....lol:eek:oooh::haha: