big fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by baitshop 2, Dec 29, 2007.

1. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i would like to find out where you catch more of your big fish ?
    lakes or rivers
    big pockets or small potholes
    clear water or stained
    swift water or still water
    trash piles or drop offs and ledges
    sand bottoms or muddy bottoms
    what do you look for when you go to a area that you have never been to test the waters .......
    i want to here it all ....

2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    chris. I fish the MS river. I usually look for a spot that the water depth drops off sharply. Like from 10 feet to 40feet amd fish the drop off. I look for a spot where the river has a stright run for a mile or two then has a big bend. I like to fish the inside bend. Water color doesn" seem to matter much. The fish here seem to bite better bofore a major front. Seems that the bigger the bait the bigger the fish as a rule.

3. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    good question Chris I am interested in this info too thanks

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    all of the fish over 50 lbs.have come from a lake but when i have the time and money i would rather fish in a river.

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've only caught 2 fish over 40 lbs. in GA my whole life. I've caught more than that on a single trip to the TN River on multiple occasions.

6. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've only caught 2 fish over 40 lbs. in GA my whole life. I've caught more than that on a single trip to the TN River on multiple occasions. When I'm after big fish I go to the TN River or the more riverine sections of TN River lakes. I much prefer fishing current and slightly stained water, but I've caught a lot of big fish from clear water in TN. I like deeper holes, ledges, and downed trees, etc. and a combination of those is even better. I've never been too concerned with bottom type; I mostly look at cover, current, and depth. When I fish new places I mark areas of interest on a map then go investigate those places by boat for cover and depth changes. I prefer anchor fishing in current, but I know a lot of people who drift fish TN River lakes with no current and they are very sucessful. The main key to catching big fish is fishing where big fish are. Also I mostly catch big blues, so someone who catches big flatheads might have much different preferences than I do. Good luck fishin'.

7. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Bumper.. .if you dont mind me asking what did that fish in your avatar weigh?!

8. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Most of my big fish have been cought when the Altamaha river is on a slow rise in deep holes. close to the bank.

9. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    Plowboy 411, I have only fished the Altamaha one time and had a hard time catching bream for bait. Are they this hard to catch all the time.