Big fish today on Lake Moultrie!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Dec 2, 2008.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I didn't see it, but I did speak with two coworkers who were present when it was caught, and later weighed it on certified scales. 94 lbs. Blue Catfish, caught by Kathryn Maroun, while filming a tv show. I don't know her; she's out of Canada, but I do hope to see some photos somewhere down the road. This is the biggest catfish I've personally heard of from the lakes in a year or so.

Just thought I'd pass along the news. You guys that are putting off coming down to the lakes can hurry along now. Hire a guide like Roundhill or someone else if you aren't familiar with the waters. :big_smile:

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, Tommy what a monster. I was at Randolphs back around the late 90s when one of the guides brought in a ~90 lber. Amazing!

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hot Dang I cant wait now. Thanks for the info Tommy. I will be back down there in a couple of weeks and I hope to find some at least 1/2 that size or BIGGER.:big_smile:

4. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Well, whenever you go, best of luck....

5. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Thanks for the post Tommy.Do you know if it was released?I would love to se some pics as well on the Brute.

6. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I'm wanting to go there Saturday. Any takers?

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yes, Marty, I'm almost certain it was released. I'll try to find out a little more details later in the week. They were filming a tv program called "What a Catch", I think but I've never seen it air around here. I hope we can get a picture at some point; also want to find out how they were rigged. Since they were fishing (I heard) with Roundhill's buddy Darrell :eek:oooh: I'm pretty sure they were drifting, less than 40' deep.

8. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Well the name of the show fits well.:wink:Hopefully it was released to be caught again by someone else,[Hopefully Me]:big_smile:Yea I also know of the Guide you speak of as well,He is from here in Rock Hill,I guess that is enough said about that:roll_eyes:

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Since Fishfindersc has already posted some info elsewhere, I guess it's ok to say the fish was 54.5" long with a 41" girth. Jim was the one that was there, and weighed the fish. I didn't want to cut in on him. Maybe he will show up here soon and give his story.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Oh Gawd....not Daryll Smith!!! :smile2:

We will never hear the end of that if it was him!!! :smile2:

Congrats to Daryll if it was his boat. He has been a good guy to come out and speak to the Carolina Catfish Club in the past. :wink:

DOUBLE pat on the back if the fish was released!! :tounge_out:

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Was the 41" girth the fish or Darrells head.:wink: I reckon that $75,000.00 trittoon finally paid off.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Guys,

I found a listing for "what a catch" TV show, looks like it is a lady out of Canada, if this is the one. I couldn't find any recent info on her fishing here, but thought I would pass along my findings in case anyone wanted to research it further

www.whatacatch.net

13. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina

Attached Files:

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the link, Robbie. I'll forward it to Jim Glenn, also. :smile2:

15. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    what a monster!!! thanks for the links...

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats to Daryll Smith on helping to put that big fish in the boat!!!

Daryll is fun to listen to at his seminars and I am SURE we will be hearing about this fish IN DETAIL in the future when we hear him speak!! :smile2:

Great job Daryll!!! :wink:

17. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    That's a monster fish.... Ol' girl looks a little tuckered out from all that heavin' on Moby Dick there.....

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    No it was just another day on the water for him. He said that wasnt even the biggest fish he has caught on his boat I think he said it was the 4th largest so really not that big of a deal.:wink: I am glad the fish was released and it is nice to just know that there are fish that big swimming around in 1 of our local lakes.

19. Gradyfish

Gradyfish New Member

State:
    Ky
    So where on Moultrie was this fish actually caught? Duck Pond, Hog Swamp, Hatchery, Bonneau? Just curious as we were fishing the same day and just wondering how close I was to catching that monster:wink:

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, you may not believe it, but you were only one bite away from catching that fish. :wink:
    Seriously, I don't know the exact location, but I'm pretty sure it was out near the main channel, on the north side. Wish I could tell you more exact, but it really doesn't make much difference. A person could luck into a big one like that at almost any time, anywhere on the lake. I've had days when I have a 10# fish on and a few minutes later maybe a 30#. The Blue Catfish don't lie up in just one spot; they're on the prowl a lot.