Big Fish Tales from Pymatuning Lake

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackburnian, Aug 13, 2007.

1. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    I rented a pontoon boat with my girlfriend Monday late morning/afternoon and ended up with two big fish tales. I had been fishing for perch, panfish, channel cats and bonus fish with crawlers. Had to move the boat a few times because I wasn't finding the fish. I finally find a spot and landed a nice 18-inch Walleye. Moments later I hook into a huge fish that I couldn't pull in at all with my 6-8 pound line. After about 15 minutes I decided to tighten the drag a little and try to horse it up, the line broke.
    Not long after this I hook another huge fish. This time I was careful not to tighten the drag too much. I would just let it tire and be patient. Well, once again, I could not move the fish towards the boat. So my girlfriend drove the boat to the fish and I was able to reel up some line. Well, we chased this fish about 8 times with the boat and as soon as we got the boat near the fish, it would run half of my line out before stopping. Abosultely could not pull the fish up. So after another 20 minutes I asked my girlfriend to drive fast towards the fish and I would just tighten and force the fish up, I was exhausted and feeling hopeless. We got the fish just under the boat and it came off of the #6 hook without us seeing what it was. The fish had been on at least 40 minutes.
    When these fish were on I started thinking that they could have been huge Snapping Turtles, or huge Carp. A Carp would have tired in my opinion and would have let me pull it to the top of the water. Locals told me that there aren't many Snappers in the lake. Even a large catfish would have tired by then? If they were musky, they were well over 25 pounds.
    Can anyone with experience in Pymatuning make a good guess? I will post pictures from the boat when I pick them up.

Scott

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Hey Scott! I love Pymatuning Lake! My earliest fishing memories come from this lake! I have always said if I got wealthy I would buy a camp on the lake! I don't know what you had hooked but too bad you didn't at least get a look at the fish!:crazy:

3. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    Well, I'm, not as mad about not seeing those fish as I was yesterday. Maybe they were just big Carp, like 35" plus, but I do have a little Musky Fever right now. I fished Lake Wilhelm last night and today and swear there was a musky there. First something big splashed the surface not like a carp but like a predator. Then the same big splash happened close to where my bobber and worm were putting the bluegills in a feeding frenzy. I tried my musky spinner last night and put a bluegill under a bobber for bait today with no luck.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    If you get the chance try using a pike shiner or bass shiners. I once caught a Tiger Musky while bass fishing live bait.I didn't know what kind of fish it was until another angler told me it was a musky.:0a23::0a26::cross:

5. MrCatfishPA

MrCatfishPA New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I have fished good ole pymatuning growing up, well those are some great stories sorry to hear you didn't land them but I"m sure the thrill will live on forever...my guess would have to be something in the 30lb + range to stay on that long and not tire.....if it was a channel cat then you may have had the new state record on, lol, def a possibility at being a musky or a giant carp! :big_smile: