Big fish in small stream

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Txboy, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Txboy

Txboy New Member

State:
    Hewitt , TX
    Last week me and my friend Jacob went down to the little creek that runs by his house so we could go sein some minnows to fish with later . This creek is'nt very big maybe 20-30 feet wide and at the deepest 5-7 feet in the deeper pools . We park at our spot and start walking down the creek and about a minute later my friend is yelling that he see's this huge catfish hiding beside a rock . At first I couldn't see the darn thing untill I realized the rock was the catfish , and I think the first words outta my mouth were " Holy crap " .

I wanted to grab the catfish by hand cause this fish was pretty much trapped in this hole but my friend wanted the net . So I agreed if I couldnt get the fish by hand I would try and make her turn into the net . But the fish had differant plans and as soon as my hand hit the water she took off right into the net and tore a hole in it trying to swim out but we still caught her .

We did release the fish to catch her another day and estimated her at 20 lbs maybe bigger who knows we didnt have a scale . Next time I just wish we could catch her on rod and reel

Attached Files:

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

that's a good story, I hope you do get the chance to catch it on rod and reel. Best of luck and by the way nice fish.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That is neat. I'm glad you released it to be caught by rod and reel another day!

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    A very pleasant suprise for you I am sure. Also bet it was a ton of fun. I commend you for releasing it to catch another day on rod and reel.
    Thanks for sharing the story and the pic!

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Very nice fish and you are a good man for releasing it. My guess is that some flooding occured and the big boy ended up stranded there.

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    From what i've read it's not uncommon for large fish to be in creeks and such as long as there is access to a river or larger body of water. I read of a study being done on radio tagged fish & some of them were traveling as far as 10 miles up small creeks. Sometimes the water between holes was less that a foot deep.

Eric

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I just wanted to mirror the echos, that is a nice fish and a great story! I too commend you on letting it go to be caught on rod and reel later!

Great work guys! Just goes to show you never know what you are going to run accross while out getting bait or fishing!!!

Tight Lines

8. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I can only imagin that, that sure beat catchin bait.........:big_smile_2: How did the rest of the trip go?

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Great story and memmory of a lifetime

10. Txboy

Txboy New Member

State:
    Hewitt , TX

Yeah this creek does end up running into the Brazos but thats 20 miles away but I can see it swimming up the creek that far . We did go back the next day to catch some more bait and we ended up seeing a few small flatheads maybe 3 inches long in our net but of course threw them back and used the perch and shiners .

We did end up catching a good amount of fish in the pond we went to . Most of the fish in there are small bass and huge bluegills with the biggest being a 1.5lber we caught back in may .

I think the coolest thing about it was just seeing how much the fish resembled the rock it was hiding under and just watching all the small baitfish swimming around it . Certainly made me think about some area's to try out next time I go out to the lake

11. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sounds like you need to fish the big holes in the creek.

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Before moving out here, we had hundred acres of river bottom, timber, and pasture. We had a river that made a horse shoe around the bottom ground, that dumped into the Illinois River. Joining that river was a much smaller creek that under normal conditions would be about 6-8ft. wide and maybe a few holes 10-12ft. deep. When the big river flooded of course the little one did too. Several times brush piles plugged the little creek up trapping large fish. We caught several that weighed in excess of 20lbs. in that little creek. Lots of fun trying to stay out of brush.

Don

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nice catfish, now the challenge will be floatin a live baitfish through one of those holes at night with no lantern or around to not spook the fish on the small creek. Now that's fun. As long as you don't mind skeeters, that's a fun way to fish.

14. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Nice fish and unusual way of catching it

15. brian89

brian89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    awesome story, we have noodled some big ones in some little creeks before like that.. makes you wonder how they are still in there..

16. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I've never been hand fishing, it looks cool, but I just don't know! :eek:oooh:

17. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great story and post. Commendations for the responsible release.

18. bd76

bd76 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'll tell you what those little creeks are awful fun to fish, the problem is getting access to them

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    That was a nice fish and a great story. Thanks for sharing.

20. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have fished in small rivers and streams most of my life. i have always done the best in the deepest holes in the river, fishing near current and fairly heavy cover. i usually used chicken liver or smaller bluegills and cut bait. it has worked great for me. i have caught several 8+ pounders.