Big fish in small boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bearsfan, Mar 16, 2007.

1. bearsfan

bearsfan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    This question may seem odd to some but I am very curious. I fish in a small ten foot jon boat with a trolling motor. That little boat is not the most sturdy thing. I have hooked some 15 pound catfish that really make my boat move around. I am wondering if I get lucky this season and hook into a monster can I even get it into my boat? I have never hooked a 40 or 50 pounder and I am not sure what I am in for. I just planned on putting my hand in its mouth and pulling it in the boat. Just curious if anyone has any advice or stories about big fish and little boat. I hope I have not done too many posts since recently becoming a member. I just like the fact so many people love to talk about catfishing. If anyone seen my earlier post of my boat and kids please don't call the state on me it was only a joke.

2. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I had a 10 foot Fisher that i bough from AK McCallums in Fay. I hooked into a 35 lb flathead adn it was a good fight. I was able to get him in the boat but i almost fell out when i was doing this. If you are fishing alone then that shouldn't be a problem just make sure that you counter weight before you try to pull them in.

3. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i fish in a 15 ft flat bottom john boat and last sept i caught a 55 flattie on the river when i fought it he made the anchor break loose and we went straight into a log jam. the net we had was not near big enough for that hog not even half of him fit in it so i had to hold the tail while my buddy held the net. the only thing that worried me about the log jam was water moccassins coming in the boat. where we fish its loaded with them.but i have to say that a big fish can pull a boat around probably up to a 18 footer if its big enough

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jeremy, be careful bringing a big fish into small boat by yourself. Leaning over the boat and trying to land a fifty pounded is not very safe. You might want to net the fish and tie it off to the side of the boat with a stringer until you can motor over to shallow water. May I suggest since you will be fishing in a small boat, please wear a life jacket. Several years ago I saw a 12 or 14 foot john boat drifting with nobody in it and went over to check it out. When I got within close proximity to the boat, a head raised up on the other side of the boat and it was a man holding on to the side. I assisted him to some shallow water where he could get back in his boat and gave him my jacket (temp. was in the low 5o's and he was shaking real bad) and towed him to where his truck and trailer was parked. He told me that he had hooked a big gar and leaned over to release the fish and fell in. He was lucky and you may not be. Think about the wife and kids when you are on the water and don't put yourself in a position that they will greive over you. Didn't mean to preach but, I have been on the water fishing for many, many moons and have seen what can happen to fishermen and others enjoying our lakes and rivers. Mac

5. bearsfan

bearsfan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    LNB Thanks for the advice I will keep it in mind. I originally bought the boat very cheap to fish some ponds near my home. I did not think it would be safe to go on the river with it. I met a local riverrat who had the same size boat and some pics of gigantic cats. So I said what the hey. I went out and became addicted to the cape fear. I respect the river and could probably stand to take a few more precautions. Being from Chicago, when I fish at night part of me is always waiting to hear dueling banjos and eyes looking out at me from the forest. lol Maybe everone could chip in and buy me a better boat. I would never forget it and I would send everyone of you a Christmas card till the day I die.

6. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    As far as big fish and little boats;

I had a one man Bass Hunter. You know one of the little pontoon plastic jobs with the swivel seat. It had a trolling motor, battery and a 1.2 HP outboard. Nice rig for ponds and creeks. However I decided to visit the local city lake one spring to bow fish for bedding carp. I drove an arrow thru a carp that was at least 25 LBS. He took me for a RIDE!! He was stuck behind the head so there was no way to turn him. A couple of times he dove straight down and almost turned me over. I never even tried to pull him in the boat. We finally wore each other out and I managed to retrieve my arrow. I felt like the guy in JAWS "You are gonna need a bigger boat!!"

I was fishing out of a 1236 Alumacraft for a while with my 140 lb 14 year old son. One day my seat mount broke and I fell over to one side of the boat. Up until then I had not realized how little free board the boat had. Water started pouring over the right rear side and I guess we took on about 20 gallons before I got back in the center of the boat. Lucky I had a big plastic cup to bail her out with.

Often boat and water safety is a study in margins. A little extra free board keeps a minor thing from becoming a MAJOR accident.

I had a friend that was fishing from a 1436 Jon boat with another guy. They were coming out of a cove when a huge boat roared past them at full power. The 1436 with a 15 HP outboard, battery, trolling motor, cooler, tackle boxes, gas can, anchors, and two guys was flipped completely over. He lost nearly everything except the boat and the engine. luckily it was warm, near the shore, and both were wearing PFD's.