Big fat channel catfish full of seaweed WHY?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by chrisgerow12, Jul 15, 2009.

1. chrisgerow12

chrisgerow12 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Last night I caught 1 of the 2 cats ive caught that where bloated. They where full of nothing but seaweed WHY?

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I catch lots of bullheads and channels in the river here that are full of grass. They eat it. Why? I don't really know, but they eat it, and pretty much anything thing else they can get in their mouths.

3. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would guess that the carp are spawning and the cats are eating their eggs. When eating the eggs they are also digesting the vegetation the eggs are on.

I see more vegetation in the cats I catch when I know the Carp are spawning in my area.

Hope that helps.

Matt

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    maybe they were vegetarians:wink:

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Matt is probably right, besides that, cats do occasionally eat ruffage.

6. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Seen the same thing in some channels i caught in a cove where the carp are spawning. Makes sense to me. I bet if you caught some of the carp and harvested the eggs, it would be a great bait right now.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Prolly because they got a mouthfull of stinkbait, and made'm sick, so like a dog, they ate some grass to help settle their stomachs...:smile2:

8. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    mabey it settles their stomach like a dog :smile2:

9. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I , too have caught fish with grass in their stomachs. They were caught in a pond. I'm thinking they were eating the frog or bluegill eggs in the grass.
    That or the grass serves as a laxative - had a few lose their bowels when placed on a stringer.

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Along with the others I would say because the cats were feeding in the mossy area

11. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    thats a stumper.

maybe their cross bred with a grass carp (lol)

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like humans catfish are omnivores..They need a certain amount of vegetation in there diet..Usually it comes from eating other creatures that are herbivores(like grasshoppers) to get there vegetable fix but occasionally they'll eat grass or seaweed.I'm guessing though that everyone has it right when they say they were more likely after carp eggs.

13. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    We have a lot of hydrilla ( some call it grass, seaweed) in the river here. This time of year on into fall, it is normal to see the channels, and blues just full of it. Occasionally i'll keep a couple messes of channels, when I do this I'm paying close attention to what they are eating. When inspecting the contents I've seen Bluegill, minnows, crawfish, fallfish, snails, worms, insects, etc. in there digestive tract. Most of these can easily be found hiding in the cover of the hydrilla. it would be pretty hard for them to only get the bait without the hydrilla too.

I don't know that they are targeting the hydrilla, I think it is more of a by product of what they are going after when feeding. It's been bad at times, when I fish a tourney, it is not uncommon for the cats to be throwing up the grass or hydrilla into the livewell, along with their normal other things they eat.

14. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    The feeder creek that feeds into the Missiouri river here is mossy around all the rocks and logs. The cats have been feeding on this all spring and their bellies look like they may be full of eggs. But no, It's all the mossy crap. It's sort of like a cow eating grass. They need to consume a good portion to get the nutrients required. Early this morning I took six of these moss eaters and they all had a pot belly full of moss. Oh yes, they welcomed a diet change of shrimp, all to their misfotune. All were taken in about three feet of water along side of rip-wrap rocks.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would say because the cats were feeding in the moss or grass . As the moss or grass gets thicker the shad , gills , minnows etc. use it as cover so the catfish just suck in the grass or moss along with the bait fish that they was stalking or chasing . Same as with the eggs of other fish such as carp . When they suckk in to eat the eggs the moss or grass goes with it .

When a fish eats anything from eggs to other fish or your bait of choice there is a sucking method that goes into the fishes mouth and out through the gills .

I am not sure how many fish I have caught that had grass or seaweed in them due the fact that I have not gutted a catfish in years . I just fillet them and I am done with it .

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009