Big deer killed in Ohio as fair chase is a lie!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Hoopie, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I read in the Cloumbus dispatch about a 220 class deer being killed the day after gun season with a bow, and thought wow thats strange. Turns out to be very strange. I got the local newspaper yesterday the guy was charged and found guilty of not telling the truth.
    From The Circleviile Herald
    Local man fined $250.00
    A Circleville man pleaded guilty to providing false information to a check station for checking in a hunting preserve buck as a wild deer during the 2008 archery season.
    The hunter was given the maximun sentence for a fourth degree misdemeanor: $250 fine plus court costs,30 days jail suspended, two years probation with no related wildlife violation,three years hunting license revocation, and an apology letter to sportsmen.
    Rob McCarley reported to a deer check station that he killed the buck, which green scored 220 on Monday Dec.8, with a long bow on private propety in Franklin county. State wildlife officers were later informed that the deer was taken legally on a pay-to-hunt preserve in notheast Ohio and that he paid $12,500 for the deer and shot it with a rifle.
    McCarley had previously killed seven deer that would qualify for The Buckeye Big Buck Club, two of which were over 185 inches. The DOW discovered that one of these deer, a 191 class deer, was also killed on a shooting preserve in 2006 and then falsely checked as a fair chase, wild deer killed with a bow in Franklin county.
    He admitted to this violation and a s a part of the plea agreement the DOW will not pursue charges on any other deer or make recommendations to other agencies to pursue charges provided:
    He gives a full disclosure statement on all deer killed on a shooting preserve and falsely checked in as fair chase,wild deer.
    Permanent metal tags,if available,from falsified deer are returned to the DOW.His attorney advised the DOW that after being interviewed by officers, McCarley burned all of his deer mounts.

Attached Files:

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Just to get his name in the books for a big rack. Well I guess he did get his name in the books afterall, just not the one he planned on.:smile2:

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    What a despicable scum bag...W

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    He should never be able to hunt again.

5. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    LIke i sayed in another post This so far is the ohio record!!! go to ohio talk

6. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    You could sure buy a lot of guns ,stands , boats, and poles with the money he spent. I think I'll keep hunting the cheap ones behind the house. Antlers would have to taste awful good to pay out that much..

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    They should disallow all seven deer he has entered then kick him in the jimmy.

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Even though he paid all that money. the biggest cost was his self-respect and reputation. Truly sad.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with the post that he should never be allowed a license to hunt again. SAD.:sad2::sad2:

10. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
  11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
  12. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    what an ass!!!

13. brddgg21

brddgg21 New Member

State:
    scottsville,virginia
    i cant believe he paid $12,500 for a deer. big rack or not!!!!! i dont believe in all the hunting laws nor do i follow them to the tee but i do hunt honorably and dont try to hype up or lie about anything i kill. he shouldnt be allowed to score anything again or in anyway hold any records

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Wonder what he does for a living to be able to afford to pay that kind of money to shoot a deer. Kinda like shootin fish in a barrel anyway. I'd strip him of his records/titles and call him a fool. Don't make sense to lie about it.

15. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The reports I read on the story says he is a local farmer.......If that is the case I'm sure he has access to some prime hunting property as there are some nice deer in this area. Maybe a 220 inch is a once in a lifetime fair chase kill but it would be honorable.There are alot of stories out there on this deer.I just thought it was strange it was killed the day after gun season was over.Started looking for info on it after The Columbus Dispatch did a story on it, plus local talk at the bait store found out it was illegally tagged......then the rest of the dirty laundry came out. The report stated that twice he paid $12,500 to kill a deer then tagged it in as fair chase and enterd them in The Buckeye Big Buck Club.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, it seems to me he isn't gonna come out ahead.. I have a low respect for people that cheat.. If he shot a deer out of season to put food on the table, thats a different issue. But, to put racks on the wall to feel proud of? How could ya? rollo

17. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    By the time I read this whole thread, I was so angry!! This guy gives hunters & the sport a big fat black eye, & I for one am furious. Whatever came of working hard, putting in the time, & then when you finally get a deer, regardless of size/sex, being thankful for the privilege of hunting?
    That guy just makes my blood boil! I'm sorry...enough.
    And when you think about it, the animal itself gets no respect at all for this. He was a magnificent buck, but unfortunately, that is all tarnished because of what that guy did. You know, Ted Nugent say we should respect & honor the animal. I happen to agree with that!
    Thanks for allowing me to vent! And thanks for bringing the truth to light.:004::0a31::004:

18. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I doubt he burned his other trophys he prolly hid them at a buddies house. Obviously all he cares about is the "rack" and he wouldnt let em go that easy! Scumbag..........olj

19. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
  20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    They should make him do community service at a store like Bass Pro and wear a brite yellow shirt that says his crime on it. The shame would be worse than a fine.