Big Creek: First Impressions

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by LittleRiverBigFish, Jul 13, 2006.

1. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Being new to the area, I thought I'd give the cats at Big Creek a try following this week's rains. Tried Tuesday night clear up on the north end where Big Creek actually enters the lake. Had a tough time keeping bullheads off the hook, but now I know where to get flathead bait:big_smile: . Saw a lot of big fish chasing baitfish in the shallows and even some running bullfrogs out of the grass along the shore. The bullheads had been gorging themselves on what the rain brought them- bellies were distended. No cats or good bites that night.

Last night I set up on one of the upper jetties. Had one rod out with a gob of nightcrawlers and one with a big hunk of cut bluegill. Caught walleye, bass, bluegill and sheephead on the worms. Had one good run on the cut bluegill around 9:00 but he hit hard enough to engage the reel (had clicker on). When line went tight, fish dropped the bait. Not sure if it was a small one just mouthing it or what. It was a big hunk of bait though. I'm going to pick up some bigger hooks tonight, that may have been part of the problem. I had the cut bait rigged on a 3/0 kahle, biggest hook I had in my box.

Try, try again...

2. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Welcome aboard john id like to invite you to the central iowa gathering look at the member gathering thread for more info we would like to see you there

3. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Welcome to the BOC and also welcome to Iowa I live about an hour north of Big Creek along the Des Moines River if you have any ????? about the area feel free to ask.

4. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    your also welcome to come to the gathering Greg

5. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    welcome to the boc, if i might make a suggestion i fish a tourament there two months ago, most of the catfish where caught on chubs, to bad i did not have some that night i would have done better. all i had was fresh shad that i had brought with me.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Welcome John Nice to see another New member from Iowa come aboard! You will enjoy it. Also there are some nice cats in Big Creek There sponning right now so it could be sorta tough for the next two weeks or so one good thing is that they don't spon at the same time. Good luck J.D.Straka :eek:oooh:

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    welcome to the BOC. its good to have another iowan here. Im down in indianola - hollar for fishin!

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    John, keep lookin. BC is a nice looking place but the fishing pressure is huge there. I've read the DNR releases about it where they say the channels are thick in there but I have never seen it. If something tugs on your cutbait there and drops it, you have found the sheepheads. If you find the sheepheads it also means you are probably fishing too deep or far out for the cats. I've tried to catch cats there and struck out many times. The few I have caught was when I was not fishing where people will tell you the cats are on the North end and they were mostly real close to shore. A big bait is a waste there. If it rains, go to a spillway and you are better off imo.

9. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'll add my welcome too. This is a great site with tons of good info.

Has anyone ever tried drifting on Big Creek? Clayton, I'm sure you tried, didn't you?

10. LittleRiverBigFish

State:
    Iowa
    Hey guys, thanks for the welcome! And, I'm happy to add that I had my first success on Big Creek Friday. Took my boys for a few hours on Friday morning and ended up with a half dozen 8-9" bluegills and a 4-1/2 lb. cat. Got him on a fresh cut bluegill head. Fish felt a lot bigger than he turned out to be- I'm used to catching them in small rivers and streams where they don't have much real estate to work with. These lake fish go deep, go to weeds and whatever else they find on the way to make it interesting. In the process, I think I've found the best way to keep a 4 year old and two year old content and out of trouble while fishing- tell them to listen for the clicker on the reel and explain what it means when it goes off. I didn't think two kids that age could be that focused, sitting patiently listening for the tell tale sound of a hit. Only problem was trying to beat them to the rod so as to not tip the fish off that the jig was up!:lol:

I'm looking forward to more (and bigger) cats out of Big Creek. Thanks for the chub tip sltrnsam- were they cut or live?

Next goal, flatheads on the DSM!!!

11. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Hey John check out the member gathering thread for central iowa gathering would be great to have another iowan come along

12. LittleRiverBigFish

State:
    Iowa
    Mike,

I'll try and stop over and say hi, not sure though, plans are still up the air for the weekend. I know the campground you're going to be at and its only about twenty miles from our new house. If you see a tall blonde guy wander in, you'll know I'm there:lol:

13. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    sounds good hope you can make it

14. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    fresh cut chubs work good, or you can use small ones alive.