Big Creek and Saylorville

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by turtle1173, Jan 4, 2007.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Hi all,

My parents live in Ankeny, IA. My Dad just recently got a boat and is looking forward to doing some fishing on Big Creek and Saylorville lakes.

I was wondering if any of you all fish these lakes for cats and have any specifics I can pass on to him.

Thanks a lot!

2. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There will be no shortage of cats for your dad to catch in Saylorville. There are tons of big fish in there, the only problem is knowing how to locate them. Kind of like finding a needle in a haystack. I don't fish it very often but I am sure there is someone on this site that has some pointers. Big creek can be very productive in late winter and early spring up on the north side of the lake in the shallows. Usually right at ice out is the best time to go....probably will never get ice this year so that will be tough to judge.
    I'm not a big lake person I am more of a river-rat so if he has any questions about the rivers around here I would be more helpful in that category rather than the lakes

best of luck

3. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Shane, judging by your picture, you oughta have your dad come visit you instead. Sorry, no personal outings on either...

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Dave, if I ever want a guaranteed skunking, I get my Dad to come down and fish with me, LOL.:big_smile: Seriously though, we've caught some 15 lbs together but the big ones always seem to be elsewhere on that day.

Todd, I'm definitely a river person as well but with those two big lakes so close to him (and him with a good sized boat), I figured that would be a good place for him to start.

Is the Des Moines river (above or below Saylorville) big enough to put a decent sized boat in? He's got a 16 ft deep-vee starcraft. Are there Blues in the Des Moines River??

I haven't lived there in over 10 years now and I wasn't catfishing when I did live there.

Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks!

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Shane

To answer your question about the Des Moines river...it is both above and below saylorville. Saylorville is a resevoir made from the Des Moines river. The better fishing is below saylorville...it seems to be a lot easier to fish and get around. His boat would be fine. There can be some really rocky and shallow spots here and there but once he gets to know the river he will be fine. There aren't any blues in the Des Moines river (I know someone is going to want to argue this because they can't tell the difference between a channel cat without spots and a blue cat) Any DNR person or fishery person will tell you that about the only blues you can find in Iowa are in the bordering rivers...The Missouri and the Mississippi rivers. No inland river contains blue cats. Trust me I wish there were. But fortunately there are plenty of flatheads around. Especially if he ever goes to the Raccoon river near Adel Iowa, that is a very good place to catch flats. That would be about 15-20 minutes west and little south of where he is now.

I don't know if your dad is into walleye or not but both Saylorville and Big Creek can be decent at times. Also Big Creek has been producing alot of big Muskie especially in the early spring time.

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Todd, so there are no blues in Saylorville or big creek either? I thought I had heard some stories of 60 & 70 lbers in times past? I might just of misread or maybe I don't remember it right.

What kind of depths are there below Saylorville on the Des Moines river?

I have fished the Raccoon River before in Des Moines (water works park). In fact I caught my first flathead there, even before I knew what a flathead was, LOL. He weighed 6-7 lbs. Can you put a boat in the Raccoon? I wouldn't think so, but thought I would ask.

We've never done much fishing while living in Iowa. We moved there in '93 and I moved away in '96. I did do a little Walleye fishing from shore, out on the east side of Des Moines. I can't remember the park ... OK well now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like it was 'Yellow Banks Park' or something like that.

Thanks a lot for all the information.

7. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    I have heard of stories in the past about giant blues being in Saylorville as well...a long time ago. But it seems that all recent research shows that the blue cat population in the inland part of the state is pretty much absolete...but with the way the river systems are almost anything is possible.
    Using a boat on the Raccoon river is very difficult at normal water levels..too shallow and to many rocks. However if you fish in Adel you can fish above the dam and have no problem at all. It is like a whole different river all together.

There is a Yellow Banks Park east of Des Moines over by Runnells and Pleasant Hill. It is a good place to access the Des Moines river....I put in at that boat ramp at least 10 to 15 times a year.

8. mad catter

mad catter Member

State:
    Iowa
    The DNR stocked Big Creek with Blues back in the 70's. But I don't think the Blues did very good in the lake.