Big Cobia

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Ace, May 25, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Mike Goodson was fishing Ocean Crest Pier on Oak Island North Carolina today 5-25-06 When he hooked into a big Cobia he fought it for about an hour before landing it.The Cobia weighed in at 63lb it's girth was 29 1/2 inches and it length was 54 1/4 inches.Ocean Crest is the pier where my wife and I have fished ever year since 1980.I have taken a lot big fish over the years such as King Mackerel,Spanish Mackerel,Cobia and Shark.We are headed that way the end of June for about 10 days vacation Lord willing.

I uploaded a pic of the big Cobia. :still_dreaming:

:cat:

2. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Now that is a very nice fish!!! Even small Cobia's put a heck of a fight but one that was 63 #'s sounds like a job for a younger man :sweat:

3. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That cobia looks like a big channel to me. nice fish ,thanks

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This would be very hard from a boat.To do so from a pier,well it was just his day.Sure proud for him.Thanks for sharing.Good pier fishing is great,but you have to give up so many fish to the piers pilings.Please keep on sharing your trips with us.peewee-williams

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thats a lotta fish from a pier. I've never had much luck pier fishing. You know the story," You shudda been here yesterday."

6. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    man that is a huge fish. i've never been fishin out in the ocean, haven't been to the beach in forever. but man i really wanna go lol, esp after seein that monster cobia

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, that's a nice Cobia, my dad and I have been fishing at the piers a few years now spending countless hours trying to get just one big Cobia, so far I was the only one to get a decent size one, 10 pounder, but my dad caught a baby last summer. One day we will get one like that.