big channels vs small channels

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ranman92, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I know there are alot more small fish obviously then big ones. But some people say if your into a bunch of small ones there should be some big ones close and some people say the opposite. I don't think I have seen a thread on here about this question but I am sure there has been. But I was wondering other peoples opinons on this only about channels though I am not talking about flatties. THANKS

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Randy, Are you talking rivers or lakes??

In rivers I think the fish are almost always on the move plus I think big fish school with big fish and small fish school with small fish IMO

In lakes I would think it would depend on how big a lake you would be talking about some lakes under 100 acres with a lot of small fish I would think there would not be very many big ones as they would be competing for food.

Like wise in a small lake with a lot of big boys they too would be competing for food

In a bigger lake with a lot of small fish you would think there would be bigger ones there unless it is overfished and people keep everything they catch. IMO

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I hardly ever catch mixed sizes of channel cats. If I am on a hole and catch 1-2lb fish i am pretty sure there will not be any monster channels caught there.
    Now, I have caught 3lbers one after another, then caught a 10lb blue outta no where.

4. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I was talking about manmade lakes and reservoirs. I appreciate the feedback I just thought it would make an interesting topic. From my experience I have caught a big one here or there in a school of small ones but most times when I have caught a big one it is in an area by itself either that or the other big ones don't like what I am offering.

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    From my experience catching Channel Cats, the size difference varies. I have caught 1-2 lb. cats and then catch a 10 pounder. Then somedays I'll catch nothing but small cats and somedays nothing but big ones. I believe it depends on the availability of food and the patterens they follow. I fish an inlet at a local reservoir and it really varies on the catch and I've noticed this at other lakes to.

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If I'm fishing in a lake and start catching 1-2 pounders I move unless I'm looking for fish to eat. Thats just me. I have never caught a big one when I was catching a bunch of little ones. Could have been that the little ones wre get to the bait first.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I think if you are in a spot where you are catching several small ones that will be mostly what you catch. During a tournament, of course, that helps to get your limit fast. But after that, I would start moving looking to increase my sizes.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: 110% with this post.

At lease that is the way that I've always looked at it. I mostly fish the Ca. Delta (River), and I always said If you find fish in a river system
    Don't Move around as much as you would on a lake, because a nice one will always come though the area, just to check out things.
    :wink:
    :0a26: