Big channel catfish on live bluegills.

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Firecat41, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    I made it out at 8 am fishing live gills and leaf worms, for the first time in a week. First cast with the gill stuck in the reel and sent the gill flying, rebaited with a new gill and had a better cast. As that line was setting in about 5' of water next to a 14' hole, baited up my other pole with the worms and casted on to a shallow point near the same hole. I pulled in a small drum on the worm and as soon as I through the fish back there was a small run on the gill, I pick it up and had a big run. After all was said and done I had the biggest channel I have every caught on the shore the scale said 11.26 lbs, the fish jumped in the air 3 or 4 times I wasnt sure what I had at first. I need to go buy a digital camera, the one on my camcorder doesnt take very good pics. So I baited up again and right back in the same place it went. 15 mins later I am getting a run on the gill and goo hits on the worm while I was more concered with the gill the worm pole came out of the rich and into the water this time a 4.86 lbs channel. After missing two good runs on the gill I didnt miss the 3rd time 9.23 lbs Channel. This has been by far the best day out this year I also land a 1.33 channel and spotted cat no bigger then my gill bait. I hope this is a sign of things to come for the rest of the year.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Congrats on the good day out. When I fish with live Gills on the Illinois I've always hoping for a monster flathead, but if a nice channel hits it I'm not going to be one to complain.

3. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    WOW Firecat!!!
    Now THAT is what I would call FISHING!
    WAY TO GO!

Just out of curiosity, did you release these, or keep em'?

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    here I am stuck at work reading this post and man.. Im getting that ITCH!! man I cant wait till next week to go fishing.

5. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    I release every fish I catch, I have buddy that takes care of my eating needs (commerical fishermen on the Miss.). They are all back in the water for the next time, which will be tonight, I hope to catch one of the big runs that I missed!

6. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    It's great only working 3 days a week, not only do I have one of the greatest jobs in world, but I get to do a lot of fishing with 4 days off. :wink:

7. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Firecat, were those caught on the Rock river?

This is my first year of fishing and as of yet can only bank fish. I've got a place right on the Rock and my best cat measured at 19 inches.

Maybe if your in the area we can hook up and burn some burgers and I'll let you give me a few fishing lessons. It's obvious your doing something right!

8. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Yes this was in the ROck River just outside of Rockton, IL I do well every year last year was my first year using big bait for big fish. The fish in my photo is my biggest at 14.3 lbs, but I hope to brake that this year.

9. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Hey Firecat, I 've gone fishing in Rockton, just above the dam, in front of the houses, catching a few 2 pounders. I don't have a boat, where on shore did you get the cats from shore. I live in Freeport, about 35 mi from Rockton. I would love to find good shore finshing spots in Rockton, or Oregon at/near the dam. (Or anywhere there is good fishing)

10. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Way to go man. You kicked the crap out of my 9 lber the other day. Check Sundays Rockford Register Star under channel cats in the sports section. They finally put my fish in there.

11. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Hey Firecat,
    I put in at oregon a few times last year, plan on going several times in the next couple of weeks. Do you know if there's anywhere to launch below the dam near where your at??

Thanks,
    Philip