big channel catfish from Hensley Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Capt Steve, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Last week a 24 pounder by the dam and this week a 17 pounder by Buck Ridge on an anchovie wrap right at sundown.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post Steve..... lots of trout bait in there to feed the cats :wink:

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    24 pound channel is a nice fish .

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the heads up Steve:wink:

5. Real men fish

Real men fish New Member

State:
    california
    i think i might be heading to hensley tomorrow. i have the itch, im scratching it but it just hasnt gone away:tounge_out:

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Those are fine catches for channels. The fall is generallly the time that you start to see big size channels come into play.

7. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Brian, I've been hearing rumors that there are Blue cats in Eastman and Hensley lakes. Supposedy confirmed by a park ranger. I'm sceptical until I see a picture of one though.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That would be nice if it was. The waters up that way would be idea for blue cats. Something I never really understood as to why the stocking programs of the past and now are basically in southern California for blue catfish.

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    I always thought that the dfg plants were channel cats? They are in the WON news when the stocking is catfish and not trout.

Blures are what they put in San Diego back a while.....

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Ray even to this day those San Diego city lakes get a certain amount of blues into those lakes that are small. They may do it once a year or so, but they do it like at Otay, San Vicente, Murray, etc. They put them into select lakes. Sometimes when you look at the San Diego city website it will even tell you. They specify if its blues or channels. Now it may not even be the DFG it may be the City of San Diego doing this. That could explain why it is not more spread out. It would be nice if they was in the business of doing that though. So many good lakes here for them to thrive. One good source to look at there from time to time is the bulletin at the bottom and they put these blues in during the winter time for the most part it seems. They be like from 2-3 pounds and normally it is 2000 pounds when they do it. I check it often even just to check the water conditions, fishing hrs, and launch conditions.

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/fishbulletin.shtml

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Where is Hensley Lake located? is it close to Mendota?

Jaime

12. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Blue.... the thing with the San Diego lakes is the "open closed" days and times...... Would you believe that I hit Hodges one time with my little 12' semi vee and a buddy and I did real good.... but that was 25 years ago....LOL..... I did a different thing than the "bass boys" were doing, and was in close to shore and casted way out deep and brought it back to shore..... hooked a giant bass... fought it quite a while on my 12lb line and as we put in into my 2-bit trout net... the net broke.... oh well... the bass boys that were watching were impressed with its size .... and I went home and bought a bigger net......

13. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Here's a map

Attached Files:

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for the info Steve; Rep points heading your way buddy. If I understand correctly my best bet is to take Hwy 99. Cool deal; any of you guys fish this lake Hensley?

Jaime

15. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    Jamie It's it's on the oppsite side of 99. If I get a chance I might check it out next week. Its been a long long time.
    Don
    Fish04

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  16. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I may take my son out there this weekend and see if we can't catch a couple of nice kitties. I have Monday off(Columbus Day) so I may go check it out. I'll let you know how it goes if I go.:wink:

17. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Go get em Sean:wink:

18. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    24..nice channel.. thanks

19. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    That's some good catin' Steve :cool2:

20. full moon

full moon Guest

Hey Jaime-

Twenty years ago, a work buddy and I caught three 6 pound cats trolling slowly in my bass boat that I co-owned with my father at the time. They hit on small live minnows with chum bag full of goo near the bottom of Hensley near the dam. There are big channels to be caught by boat or off the bank there. You can usually launch on west side of the lake by park station....a good idea as an alternative to Mendota, It's about 45 miles from my place or 15 miles further from my place than the slough. It's north on Hwy, 41, then a left turn at turnoff to Friant Dam.

Anthony