Big channel catfish bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 26, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ANY OF YOU CATFISH VETS OUT THERE LIKE TO SHARE A GOOD BAIT FOR BIG CHANNELS IN HAVASU ( LOWER COLORADO RIVER )..... LIKE 10-15 LBS..... IM GOING TO TRY CARP IF I CAN EVER CATCH ONE

I GOT THE SET UP NOW TO TACKLE THEM BUT I DONT THINK I CAN GET THEM ON STINK BAIT :sad2:

ANYONE????

2. SandyCatfish

SandyCatfish New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    HE CAUGHT AN 18 LB CHANNEL AT ROSEY WITH A WATER DOG....LIKE 3 YRS AGO....BIG BAIT....MEANS BIGGER FISH. ARE WATER DOGS LEGAL ON THE COLO RIVER?:cool2:

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If you can, use a nice sized bluegill or green sunfish.Also a chunk of the predominate baitfish should do the trick. I also catch bigger channels on leopard frogs around here.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    4 to 5 inch bluegill fished about 2 foot off the bottom. Let it drift...

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    when i fish for carp, i take a can of corn and start throwing handfuls into water where i think they are at. bait hook up with as little of weight as possible and put out. continue to throw out corn every so often. usually works for me.
    i've never used carp for bait, but want to start myself. i'd love to catch some small one and use live.
    gary

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    try cutting a bluegill in half and use the halves. leave the guts hanging and i like to put some vanilla on the half i am using. or try putting some smelly jelly in sardine sent inside the body cavity. this set up will work wonders on the bigger channels. you can substitute other fish for the gills if they are not legal to use in your area.

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ive herd abput some people here in havasu that catch 10 lbers on anchovies.....

if i cant catch a carp i think ill try some striper... i think its legal ??? gota find out.....

if not im thinkin about a chum idea where u mix anchovies and liver then use a bait feeder ( like the guys that take carp fishing real seriously) to get out while you fish( but they cant eat it ) then use anchovies or liver as bait

i asked jim oker ( a guy that gives trips out " i found that out ") about catfishing but als he did was try to sell me a trip :roll_eyes:

thanks yall for the tips !!!!!!!!!

8. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    stripers are gamefish. don't get caught using them. i've always done best at havasu for channnels with crawlers. next was liver.
    gary

9. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    +1 on the sunfish. I always catch the biggest channels on sunfish.

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Bluegill heads have caught me my biggest channel cats, 12 and 9 lbs..

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ive heard that for a while.....

i keep mentioning anchovies because people keep saying that is a great bait.....

im planning on the other baits too....

i got to make leaders for anchovies and other cut baits ( im going to try sunfish and sardines nextime)

just gota keep trying:confused2: you no?????

thanks yall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    caught tons of channels here on blue gills and punkin seeds. I use good size one but not monster gills like i do when i flat fish.

13. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    One of my friends I used to work with showed me a picture of a channel that would have easily eclipsed our state record that he caught with a crushed crayfish. I mentioned to him that when cleaning channels 5 lbs and up I always find crayfish remains in them. He told me about a channel he caught up north by the grand canyon? that was easily 40 lbs. I thought he was lying, so I asked him to bring the picture in to work which he did and I must say, it was that big. I asked him what he did with it, and you know the rest of the story.
    He ate it.

14. azfisher

azfisher New Member

State:
    arizona
    I like to use cut anchovie heads and soak them from frozen in anise and garlic powder overnight in the frige don't let them get to warm ether keep them on ice in a Tupperware . At least that works well for me everywhere.
    :wink:

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

have you caught some good sized kitties on that??????

thats something that i could get into..... or like using garlic salt and getting it slightly dehydrated before fishing ( keeping a jar that is filled with garlic salt and letting it sit for about 2 min before fishing )

wow i got a bunch of ideas now

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I have talked to tournament anglers here in Nebraska. They pretty much agree that coagulated blood bait is the way to go for catching big Channel Cats.

I've only tried blood once. this was during the Memorial Weekend with a friend that fishes alot of Catfish tournaments. the conditions were unfavorable for fishing because of the massive amounts of rainfall that fell during the weekend. We managed to boat a 3 lb. cat while drifting with the blood and had numerous bites on the stuff. I will try using it when the conditions are more favorable for fishing. using blood can be quite tricky and has to be of the right consistentcy when using it.

I'm going to try making some for myself to use sometime. My friend also mentioned that if you don't have blood bait, you may as well stay home when fishing tournaments here in Nebraska. also cutbait like shad, alewifes, bluegill, etc. will get the job done on the bigger cats.

17. olefrog

olefrog New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Ole frog uses live Threadfin Shad when available.
    You fish site six a lot it seems. I suggest you get a throw net,4 ft legal here in Arizona.
    Catch your live ones there or places you can find them.
    If you net to many do as ole frog does.he uses his food vacuum packer to make packages of shad, enough for one outting.
    I freeze the packs ,they will stay fresh all year.

In the hot weather 115/120 or so I fish the shallows at night.
    If I have live ones I fish with a baloon as a bobber.
    If one ties a overhand knot with the baloon stem on the line you have a slip bobber.
    I like the baloon because you dont have to rig a bobber stopper ,in shallow water,just slip the baloon up or down the line to adjust depth.
    Ole frog also uses a fly line dressing on the first thirty or so feet of line .I do this to make it float ,whem one has a pickup you do not have the line drag form water pressure of the sunken line when you set the hook.
    One can use this method with a slip bobber as well.
    On a river ole frog uses this method to drift a bait and boat along with the current ..
    You have no line drag and can fish away from the boat.
    With the slip bobber one can adjust your depth you want to fish.
    A slip bobber rig has a sinker

The shallows of the Bill Williams River Lake Havasu many good spots for this method.
    When fishing live shad you will catch Flatheads ,Stripers,Large and Smallmouth Bass ,Crappie,I have even caught large Redear Sunfish on them.

OIe frog has even mooched the frozen dead shad. I use a banana sinker , a three foot leader with the slip hook like on a Salmon mooching rig.
    The slow troll .the slow roll of the bait works real well at times ,slow slow is the key.
    Go down till you feel the tick tick of the sinker then up a crank or two.
    It is best if one holds his rod so you can tell where the bottom is.

I think the sunfish or shad works about the same.
    If you want to catch Green Sunfish in the lake fish the thickest brush you can find.
    Use a worm hook can be bigger than you use for Bluegills as they have a bigger mouth.
    The stinkbaits work,I like the fresh bait better.

One last thing if you fish live Shad shallow no sinker with the baloon ole frog hooks the bait in the belly .
    It will make it swim down you don't need a sinker.

ta ta ole frog

18. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i would use shad all summer but i cant catch any during the summer

thankyou for taking time out and writing that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rep points comming ur way

19. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Lee,
    You sound like an old Pro!
    Glad to have you aboard the BOC and hope you stick around...
    ~A

20. Capt catfish

Capt catfish New Member

State:
    Illinois/Az
    I have had great luck catching them on hotdogs soaked in vanilla extract.