Big Channel catfish at Murray

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sarSWAMPFOX, May 27, 2007.

1. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    This morning we put in at Camp barsto and started marking fish on the way out. I was sure they were stripers so we passed them by. But on our first set at the mouth of the inlet we had 3 nice channels the boat. Two 5 lbers & one 11.7 lb, sweet for 30min fishing. So we decided to move back into the cove to check those we marked earlier ( AND TO HIDE FROM THE PLEASURE BOATERS). Much to my surprise every set we made caught fish. The bigger fish were in 20 to 25 ft of water, plenty 2 to 3 lbers in 10 ft or less. By 1:eek:o we had caught and released 13 over 10 lbs each. We also kept 30 channels under 3 lbs each. Can you say fish fry. No real trophies but a real fun day fishing. Cut white perch and threadfin. After 12:eek:o it started to slow and we had to go any way . Would have liked to be there as the sun went down though. My son Jaybird had a ball as I (we) normaly let him reel in all fish under 10 lbs.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've caught a few big channel cats in Murray striper fishing a few years back but I have been in the last two years. I guess I'll have to hit Murray sometime this summer. Thanks for the report JD.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice report. I fished it this winter and we caught big channel cats and a couple nice blues. It was my first trip to Murray and been hoping to get back but I have my hands full with the great fishing around Wylie.