big channel catfish a possibility?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by bluefish1928, Jun 28, 2009.

1. bluefish1928

bluefish1928 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished in a scout camp(in SC) lake each time i go camping there. caught 1-2 pound channel cats at night most of the time. other scouts tell me that there are some huge channels out there which i don't really believe. the lake is about 30 acres, used to be a creek(i have caught green sunfish and pickerel which are not stocked). setting a line out with 8 pound test i had it pop off sometime during the night. this is my only indication that there are bigger cats in the lake. the lake is "stocked." its filled with bass, tiny bluegill, and huge bluegill(few in between). Do u guys know of a lake of similar condition, do u think there could be big catfish in there(btw the lake has been there for at least 30 years)

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'd think if there are small ones then there must be some bigger ones too, try a sunny or gill head as bait, increasing the bait size might help or even try a live 3 inch sunny:wink:

3. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA

Agreed 100%! They don't stay little forever so if there are small ones then there are definitely bigger ones. As was suggested, try using some bigger bait and keep your fingers crossed.

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Do try bigger bait Brian, but remember to tie your pole down good or you might loose it if the big one hits, channels a pretty wild when the bigger ones hit, just hit it and head for the other side of the lake! Good fishing!

5. DC43

DC43 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'd say that there are probly bigger cats in there, but I would also check to see if your line is dry - rotted, cause mine did that to and I kept thinking big fish were breaking it. Chicken Livers might not be to use either, I normally get some nice channels on livers. Good Luck with that monster...:big_smile:

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    If its been there 30 yrs, and has been stocked with channels the whole time, then yes it definitely has the chance to have a 30+lb. channel. Try using a big bluegill live set 3' under a bobber. :wink:

7. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Try that and a large peice of cut shad or gill. I like the head or the gut pocket section with all the goodies oozing out the ends:wink:

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    First thing I would recommend is using a rig with a bigger pound test. Nothing like hooking a big cat and losing him because your rig is not big enough. I would use 20lb line at a minimum.

9. bluefish1928

bluefish1928 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for the replies. i think ill bring my surf rod this summer and try to catch some of the tiny bluegills for bait. the lake itself is fairly shallow( average maybe 4 foot deep) with a 13 foot hole around the swimming platform(however in the swimming area there isn't any cover). should i try the deep areas or just cast into the old creek area(most part isn't that deep, about 5-6 foot). i caught the one pound channels close to shore in 3- 4 foot of water at night but never during the day.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    sure there might be big ones in there,if there are a bunch of gills in there you can bet thats what there eating on so thats what id be using.