Big Cats or Little ones???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by puddle jumper, Sep 5, 2008.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ok Guys,
    I need to ask your opinion,, ive been setting up in a smaller river,,about 100ft across and 2-6 ft deep on average, im fishing a really deep hole "for this river" almost 30 ft and very rocky,,I know this river holds some big cats 20-30lb blues and im sure some big flattys as well,,

Now for the question im setting up for big fish, large circle hook, heavy poles, large baits "chicken breasts and cut brim." im loosing my bait but the poles are just slightly moving like there are small fish playing with the bait, but they are steeling the bait, with the bait being as large as it is ive been waiting for the pole tip to really load up like I do on the big rivers I fish and its never comes..

Are these big fish not feeding agresively, small fish with a big apitite, or something elce,, turtles,,etc???
    I feel like they are small fish but I caught a flathead in the 8lb rang the other day "my first" that did the same thing and its got me wondering...:wink: am I missing big fish and should I do something different??

Thanks for the help,,,
    Puddle...

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've noticed some of the same things you mentioned. I dont know whats going on. Maybe smaller baits? Maybe some live baits? Good Luck to ya:big_smile:

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would switch to a little smaller bait with a kahle hook. If they keep biting lite just rip their lips! It may also be turtles or gar.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I would suggest switching to live baits with a slightly smaller trailer hook. Usually when I am using cut baits and I get those smaller insignificant bites I will switch to live baits which help intice a more aggressive bite. You then may have to adjust the size of your live baits on each trip. Take a variety of sizes with you. Also, you could be encountering some turtles just chewin on the bait. Turtles will normally not choose to chase a live bait. If you know you have some larger fish in the river, try not to go too small, that will only increase the constant pecking of the smaller fish. And most important of all - Don't give up!

5. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    John, try floating your bait with a cigar bobber between your hook and the weight, if its a deep rocky hole it maybe crawfish working your bait over and the bobber will keep your bait off the bottom so they can't get to it.

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thanks for the input guys,, I think ill try some smaller baits and some Kail hooks and see if i can hook up with whatever it is and see...
    Puddle...:wink:

7. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Very possible you have some big turtles down there stealing you blind.

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Sounds like turtles to me,but switching to smaller baits and kahle hooks sounds like a good idea too.

9. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I fish a med. size river about 20 miles from the coast. For me those really light nibbles are blue crabs stealing my bait. They grab the bait in one claw and eat everything but the lips with the other and sometimes you can only see one tiny tug. Thats when they grab it the first time.
    On the other hand a big flat is bad about hitting the bait once. Hell just sit there with it in his mouth.