BIG cats-light tackle

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by kottacat, Jun 19, 2009.

1. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    :eek:oooh:Any of you guys ever go after em with light-non catfish-tackle? If not you should try it! One heck of a good time! Theres quite a bit of good solid lighter gear out there.

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Yeah its fun till you loose a big one then it feels like a mac truck hit you in the gut.I fish big gear fior big fish don't want to take any chances.

3. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    I hear ya man. Theres gear out there and ways of usen' it to prevent that from happening. Only problem is that its pricey. Those 300 curados will handle about anything in freshwater but they run around 300 dollars. I like heavy bass tackle. Ive caught some 20lb plus fish on that gear. Aside from all of my cat gear ive got a bps extreme 7'10" hvy. rod with a curado on it and 50lb. power-pro. its one of the old curado 300's and i use it all the time and havent had any problems with it. I even took it to florida with me and used out on the gulf.

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I usually don't target big cats on my light gear...but I don't mind it when i catch them on light gear haha. My personal best channel cat came on my 6lb test smallmouth/panfish set up...16lber, one heck of a fight.

5. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    Iguarentee it. it is a blast. yall ever caught a cat on jig when you were fishin for somethin else? thats crazy to.:smile2:ive even heard of people using big bass or musky style swimbaits for flatheads.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Its fun but also kills a lot of fish each year. We have been seeing lots of flat heads floating down the river. They were caught on light tackle and when the people turn the back. They just don't make it. But then again they are fighting them for 35 to 40 minutes.
    Pete