big catfish's age

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadslayer, Oct 21, 2009.

1. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i read alot about cpr on big fish,i'll let my big ones go,most of the time without taking a picture.but the question is does anyone know how old a big flat or blue is(60lbs.).and how long can a flat or blue live?i listen to both sides some say keep'm they're gonna die of old age any ways,some say put'm back.just wondering on the age thing.i know location plays a role.anyone know?:0a21:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    genetics , food , growing season if you will. are all factores.:smile2: fish grow untill they die :sad2: heck if i know:big_smile: oklahoma fisheries did research.

3. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
  4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    just going by fish that I know were aged, a 96 lb blue that was 20 to 25 years old,a 80 lb blue that was 15 years old,a 79 lb flathead that was 12 to 14,and a 80 lb flat that was 30 to 35. these were dated by biologists through tissue samples. What they show is that size of fish and age don't nessasarily mean as much as availability of food and room to grow unmolested. givin plenty of food they can get huge,I've heard of fish that were dated as over 50 years old,so it's just their living conditions that control growth.I don't believe anything on wikipedia,any idiot can go on there and post up unsubsanciated claims.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wish i had a tank and a baby flatty to grow old with

6. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    sounds like a project for my grandson!:big_smile:

7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I believe the old virginia blue cat record which was 96#'s was dated by biologist was only 11 years old. All about genetics and food supply I suppose.

8. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    everything plays a factor....some fish just plain outgrow others just like humans and some stay small there whole life.....all b/s aside I would say 30-35 years would be the end of the road for any fish....there are acceptions to every rule but fish over 50 would be a rarety....

this is just what I think no science behind it......but I think monster catfish don't get that way with age....It's gotta be genetics and enviroment.....a 92pound blue here in nebraska was claimed to only be 20-25 years old

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    A lot of record fish are surprisingly young for their size. I think in those cases it is just a case of genetics - they simply are the linebackers of the catfish.

As far as the argument that you should go ahead and kill the big fish before they die of old age, that is total BS in my opinion. Just like people, young fish tend to make pretty lousy parents (low numbers and quality of egg is the case of the fish). Even if a 60 or 70 pound fish was only to survive for one more spawn, that one spawn would be way more valuable than a bunch of smaller fish. Larger fish produce more eggs and better quality eggs, not to mention that they are passing along the good big-fish genetics.

10. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i agree i could'nt intentionaly kill a 60 or 70 lb. fish.your talking about 6 to 7 hundred thousand eggs.i would rather clean & eat smaller fish any way.