Big Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rambilt, Jan 22, 2007.

1. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you guys practice catch and release or you guys take it home and put it in the freezer? I haven't really catch anything worth taking a picture like I see in you alls avatar.:eek:oooh:

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well here when I caught catfish, keep them because I love to eat catfish and other freshwater fish. but someday I let them go but not really often.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    and one thing I really enjoy to catch them, if I catch 30pound then I would let them go. let them grow as large!

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    If I am hungry for fish , I keep everything under 5 lbs. I release everything over that to grow up and make more under 5 lbers.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i usually keep the ones over three pounds i havent caught any overly big so ill cross that bridge when/if it comes

6. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i think all fish our pic. friendly but the big one released

7. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    nothing wrong with putting some fish in the freezer. i eat fish 3 or so times a week, so i gotta keep up a good stock:smile2:
    keep workin at it, and youll have that picture of mr. whiskers

8. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    My wife don't like any seafood at all so more for me but I can't clean them so I too practice the catch and release program.:lol: Most of the fish I ate are from the market and/or restaurant.:lol:

So it is nice to find out that those fish in the avatars are still alive in kicking. Hmmmm more chances for me to catch a big one.

Hey allworknofish, I'm from Temple, TX.

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i alway cpr al my fish with all these gill net i see up an down the rivers you just dont now how long the fish will last around here

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    99% of mine are released. I am lucky in that I get to fish a lot and catch a lot of fish, so I don't want to be greedy and ruin the resource. If I do decide to keep a few for the table they are small, and ALL FISH over five pounds are released.

11. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    The only one that i have kept is the one in the picture becasue he swallowed the hook so deep that even before i tried to get it out it was bleeding bad so we decided to eat that one.

12. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    Anything 8 pounds or bigger I put back in the water. It takes a long time for a blue to grow that big.

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I release 99% of the fish I catch, unless someone is on the river bank that wants them. Take a picture and let em go.

14. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree with ya there wyliecat, over five lbs normally goes back in the water. hey, if its a channel cat over about 3 they go back, too greasy for my taste once they get very large. but at the same time, most of my eating fish come out of a friend of mines lake. he has a creek behind the lake that we pull catfish out of when we get bored, and throw them in the little 2 acre pond of his. i wasnt saying if you catch it keep it, just that if you want some fish for a fish fry, it doesnt hurt to put some in the cooler. i would much rather eat some that came out of some clean moving water than what they sell at the markets that grew up swimming in a mud hole and getting fat off high protien food. some people say they like the farm raised catfish, but not me....i can tell when i bite into it.:tounge_out: so dont get me wrong guys, if you run trotlines, jug lines and fish 4 days out of the week, it really might not be a good idea to keep everything you pull off a hook, but if you wanna have a good old fish fry, heck, half the fun is catching them yourself. and hey rambilt, i grew up in palestine, not real far from you, but if you get the chance to head down this way, give me a shout, lots of fish to be caught down here.

15. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Let the bigguns go and keep the lil ones for the table if you want. Nothing like those good ole sunday fish frys while watching football and racing.

Wheelmobile07

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    If the fish big enough to eat I will keep it, if its to small I will throw it back.

17. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hy guys,

I love to catch fish and love to eat fish, but my wife and children have no use for it. So, if I'm in the mood for fresh fish meal I'll keep a couple of small ones to pan fry.

18. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ditto, same for me

19. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I release everything over 5 lbs. keep a few smaller ones to eat.

20. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Both me and my dad love to eat fish. We fish for catfish with the intent of keeping what we catch. The fish in my avatar was my first big fish, and we did keep it. Since then we have caught an 18,24,28# blues that we released. We dont plan on keeping any more big fish.

I dont have any problems with people keeping or releasing there catch. If it was caught legally, they can do what they want with it.