Big catfish without a boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by gone fishin phil, Jul 26, 2007.

1. gone fishin phil

gone fishin phil New Member

State:
    missouri
    Has anyone caught any big cats with out a boat? Try to figure out why I cant seem to get anything bigger than 4-5 pound cats.

Phil

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Phil. Where are you at in Mo??

3. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im with you there Phil!!:sad2: Ive been trying forever. Theres a lot on here to help you though. Welcome to the BOC brother!!

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Welcome to the BOC.:big_smile: What kinds of bait are you using? Bait to me is a good place to start. If you are using store bought cut bait or something like that, I would switch to live bait or fresh cut bait. Big cats I don't think will hit the store bought stuff as much as the fresh.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    :0a25:Welcome to The BOC Phil:0a25: You can catch big boys from the banks. My personal best channel cat was 18lbs, and I caught it at a small lake.:0a22:

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Phil, welcome to the B.O.C.,best catfishing community on the planet.

My biggest flathead was caught fishing from the bank

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Phil welcome to the BOC brother!!

I have seen alot of big cats caught from the bank, in fact the previous world record blue cat was caught from a fisherman bank fishing!!!http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_fea_cat_blue_record_121-8_Burkhead

Miller made an excellent point about the bait, fresh is best! However now that you're a member of the BOC, there are alot of us that have boats that are more than willing to take those that don't out on the water if they help pitch in for gas!! You'll see, there are alot of good folks on here!:big_smile:

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Welcome to the BOC. Just because you don't have a boat dosen't mean that you can't get to the big fish. I fish out of my boat when the waters up, but there is alot of time in the summer when I'll park my boat and get out on the tips of the wingdykes in the Mississippi and fish the deep holes or the channel edge. I've caught alot of decent fish doing this. There are several public accesses on these rivers where there are accessible dykes you can fish off of when they are above water.

9. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    welcome th the BOC. the big one in the pic was caught from the river bank at the carlyle spillway. so i would say its possible.

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Catfish Willie posted his dad caught a monster Flathead down by the arch on the riverfront just a couple of weeks ago. The big ones will hit along the banks, you just have to find places to get river access on the big rivers.

11. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Yeah, that current world record blue was caught on th Tx side of Lake Texoma. I think he was using gold fish or fresh cut shad. he also had 4 12' surf rods to cast out around 100 yards or more. so yes its possible, just takes time an practice an a lil help from those who have done it comes in handy to. so keep trying.

12. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    The current world record blue catfish (124 lbs.) was caught on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River in 2005 by Tim Pruitt.

http://www.illinoisgameandfish.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/IL_0605/

13. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
  14. bookr1

bookr1 New Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Phil it is possible to catch big fish from the bank. Since july 20 I have caught a 44lb, 35lb, and a 84lb blue. The 84lb blue was briefly in the tank at Cabelas on the 25th before he died. Iam new to the forum but not new to catfishing

15. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I was going to mention that but didn't want to seem like a smartypants since I was already setting the record straight -- no pun intended. :wink: