big catfish on Jordan?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by xxstumpxxq, Jul 5, 2009.

1. xxstumpxxq

xxstumpxxq New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey, I fish Jordan pretty regularly and I am catching fish,(channels, blues, and bullheads). The biggest was a blue that was about 9. I use cut bream, some small whole bream and sonnys dip bait. I was wondering if anyone knows about catching some big cats though. I can go down to buckhorn but I know Jordan better and i have more faith in it. I just cant seem to find a big cat out there. Any help is appreciated seeing as how I just started learning to really catfish this summer. I average about a fish an hour. Is that about what it should be like? Thanks

2. xxstumpxxq

xxstumpxxq New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish about 15-20 ft. right now. its a channel that cuts around a nice point that stays about 8 ft. deep with stumps on the end that come all the way to the surface. just on the other side of the stumps is a 20 ft. hole and then the channel. The mouth of the cove is wide and drops to 30 ft. pretty quickly. but the channel is only 3-4 ft deeper than the rest of the mouth. It is a point that projects into the cove. If I go out much farther its just big water... Any help on where to start out there? I notice alot of striper boys trolling pretty close should I try fishin closer to them? Thanks for you help and reply. tight lines.

3. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    i know some guys who used to fish out there alot and they never caught a fish over a couple pounds. Ive never even heard of someone catching a cat from there over 10lbs.. it looks like a good lake but i just dont think theres much to the trophy fishing there.

4. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Fished there a few times from the bank. Done well w/ bunch of eaters at night on livers and cut bait, but nothing over 5 lbs or so. Following some other threads, this seems like par for the course. Plenty of smaller white, channel cat but no big fish.

5. xxstumpxxq

xxstumpxxq New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok, I feel like Ive done well then since I have been consistently catching 5-10lb. blues, with channels and white cats mixed in. But I want big blues. What about Harris Lake or Buckhorn area? Any suggestions on somewhere in that area? I have heard Falls is good but that is 45min. from me? Thanks for all your help.​

6. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    fish below the damn i have caught some in past when i was at bragg and did not want to fish cape fear and wanted to try a new spot. not many over the 20lb mark but they are there. i used cut strips of crappie for bait. worked good and kept gar at bay. good luck and ope this helps