Big catfish off Lake Charlotte

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by gadzooks, Feb 7, 2007.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My freind Manny and I fished Lake Charlotte. Its a natural lake off the Trinity River just East of the I-10 Trinity River bridge. The water was cool, about 47degrees, and shallow, nothing over 6 feet we could find. we set out juglines in an area that had trotline stakes, but no trotlines. Went on over to the river in our kayaks, caught nothing, and came back to head home. Checking our jugs, Manny yelled for help. He had a huge blue cat thumping against the side of his kayak. We debated how to get him in, finally swung him up under the bungess over the tankwell (shallow place to carry gear) and secured him. We went on in.

When we weighed him an hour later, the old blue weighed 29 lbs and was 37" long. Here's his picture, I'm the scraggly whino looking guy on the right:

Attached Files:

2. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That's a nice cat! I've caught some good ones out of the creeks that feed into and out of there. Good bass fishing too! Very shallow most of the time. Thought I was going to have to spend the night one night because the tide went out and I was in the old bass boat I used to have. I have to drag the boat in mud waist deep about 100 yards to get out of the lake back into the creek. Very pretty down there though!!!! Tons of wildlife!! I've seen beaver, otters, bald eagles, wolf, and of course snakes and gaters!!!

3. cajundan

cajundan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I grew up running those woods hunting and fishing that lake. My family owns property all around that area.

You can wade it but watch for the gator and mudcat holes. Wade the outside edge of the cypress trees. Use a 2/0 hook with a nightcrawler, no weight, and cast it up into the tree stumps, bases, and knees. This is especially good in the Spring when bugs are hatching. You'll lose quite a few fish and hooks but will get some of them out. Keep your fish hangin in the trees well on the bank. That water has a few water lizards in it, some are rather large. There used to be a 14 footer down there where the park hits the water,,,, before there was a park.

14' jon boats on that lake work like a champ.:big_smile:

To the North of where the park is now is a little cut that goes back to the East. Fish the mouth of that cut with worms or cutbait.

Another good spot is both sides of the creek that feeds the lake from the river. There used to be a couple really large trees on each side that wallered out big holes that have eddy's in there now. A many of kittyfish got caught there.

Where the creek meets the lake when the water is moving into the lake is a magnet for fish.

Be careful of the silt. We would drive 2x4's into the bottom of that lake in the Early '70's to mid '80s and each time, we drove 24' of wood into the muddy silt to build our base from. That's 3 2x4's stacked on top of each other.

If you get out and go along the bank to the South and Southwest of the park take a metal detector and a ditty bag. There used to be an old Indian that had a sharecroppers home back in the depression that made toys, pottery, and other stuff for the local kids and such.

On the Southside of the lake is a huge cypress swamp that is loaded with turtles, frogs, ducks, squirrels galore, and plenty of yeller cats in those cypress wallers.
    Good Luck

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Cajun Dan, thanks for the tips. Next time we go, we'll look for those areas you mention. I want to see the lake in the spring, bet its pretty. Lots of mullet jumping in the lake when the water warms up. Thinking we need to catch some in the net to use as bait.

5. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cajun Dan,
    I'm the other guy in that picture with Jerry(Gadzooks). Could you give me details on how to catch Ops in that Lake. My goal is to get a yellow cat that size or bigger. How is fishing down the cut towards and into the Trinity?

That was the biggest fish I have caught to date. Would like to have tangled with him on a rod and reel. Opened his belly and found what looked like a 6 inch shad or mullet.

Thanks for all the information and will follow your advise. Sure is a beautiful area to paddle and fish.

Manny Boudreaux

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks for the report Jerry.I'm Glad to see someone catching some fish.Congrats,J.D.

7. cajundan

cajundan New Member

State:
    Texas
    Those trotlines take some nice op out of that lake.

The cut going to thr Trinity on the river and lake sides can be good when the water is flowing into the lake for the lake side and out of the lake for the river side. As a young man :embarassed: I took several in the 50 to 80 pound class in the river. The old barge cut was always a good spot or any bend in the river on the outside of the bend.

Use live mullet or perch for bait, the bigger the better. Be prepared to hook some water lizards on trotlines close to the banks in the river, they like the perch and mullet too. :big_smile:

Another good spot is to look for the dead and hollow cypress trees along the Northeast shore where the cypress swamp starts. Some good fish have come out of there as well.

Almost forgot that trotlines in the river will get you some nice turtles as well.

I had a great Uncle that told me once that Lake Charlotte was good for commercial fishing back in the day and he would run several trotlines on that lake with good success.